thirty-six;

____________________

"Woods, what the hell were you doing out there?" Coach snaps, cuffing me upside my head

I keep my gaze on the tile floor, hanging my head. I deserve the sense of humiliation it brings me to be called out like this in front of the team. After all, it was my blind aggression that played a huge role in us losing tonight. Something in me had...well, snapped.

Coach is just about to continue his lecture when the locker room door bursts open, revealing a wild eyed Hazel.

"What the hell?" Coach stalks towards her, both hands raised in the air in exasperation. "Young lady, this room is off limits to—"

"I need to talk to Tyler," she says quickly, pushing past him.

Coach watches her pass with an incredulous look, like he can't believe this is really happening. Tyler shoots up from beside me and crosses the room with brisk strides before cupping her face in his hands. The crazed look on her face makes my skin crawl, and my stomach rises interesting my throat, threatening to expel its contents out through my mouth.

They speak softly in the corner of the room for a moment, tears running down Hazel's cheeks, and then Tyler whips his head around to look at me.
My blood ices over in my veins, and before I can even register that my body is moving, my legs are carrying me over to them.

"I-it's Mabel, I think she's in trouble," Hazel chokes out. "I don't know where she is, but she had me call the police. They said they'd do what they can, but I couldn't give them an exact location... I couldn't hear her..."

Tyler hugs her to his chest, eyeing me warily over the top of her head. "We'll go out and look for her, baby. We'll find her."

I jog back over to my cubby, squeezing past my teammates as they head for the showers. I shove my gear haphazardly inside and pull out a pair of sweats and a t-shirt, shrugging them on before grabbing my sweatshirt. I fish my keys out of my pocket and turn on my heel to leave.

Coach stalks towards me, but I ignore him, pushing past him and out through the doors where Tyler and Hazel wait in the hallway.

"Where was she coming from when she called?" I demand, inching closer.