nine;

____________________

Watching Mabel try and skate was

Watching Mabel try and skate was...amusing to say the least. I'm still laughing to myself about it even after dropping her back off at the dorms. But once I'm alone and driving back home a sense of sobriety comes over me.

Mabel was abused.

Even in my mind the words sound haunted and unfit for such a girl as herself. It took every ounce of my control to not pull the truck over and wrap her in my arms when she told me. And to hear that the sick fucker isn't even in jail? That nothing was ever done? I wanted to rip his throat out. I still do. How could someone do such inexplicable things to their own daughter? I just can't wrap my head around that type of thought process.

I grew up with a mom and dad who cuffed my sister and I upside the head several times, but only when called for. And to be honest, I was a helluva rebellious little shit growing up. They didn't wait for us to come home though to beat the snot out of us like Mabel's dad did with her.

"Fuck," I mutter, pressing my forehead to the steering wheel after parking in the driveway.

Lucas is sitting on the porch steps with a beer when I lift my head and I'm surprised to find that he's not alone. Tyler is with him and so is Mabel's friend Hazel.

I crawl out of the cab of my truck and lock the doors behind me before heading over to them.

"You look like shit dude," Tyler says, tossing me a beer. "Have a drink with us."

"Thanks," I mumble, cracking it open. It foams up and I briskly shove it away from myself until it subsides. I take a drink and nod my head towards Hazel with a quizzical look. "What's she doing here?"

Tyler ducks his head and the guy has the nerve to fucking blush like a little school girl. "Oh, Hazel and I have been hanging out lately."

Hazel rolls her eyes and snakes an arm around Tyler's waist, earning them an audible groan from both Lucas and I at the open display of affection. If Ty is serious about her though then I'm happy for him. He might be huge and intimidating at times, but he's probably one of the most soft-hearted guys I know. Hazel seems nice enough from what I've noticed while hanging out with Mabel so I guess they're a good match. But either way, who am I to judge?