twenty-eight;

Alex: Practice just let out

Alex: Practice just let out. See you soon.
Mabel: No need, I'm already here.

I peek at the missed text from Mabel while I tighten the towel around my waist with one hand. She's here? At the arena?

The locker room door whooshes open, and Mabel steps inside.

"I got the—" she pauses in the doorway, wide eyed. "Oops."

Yup. She just waltzed right in to a locker room full of sweaty dicks.

"Jesus Christ," I mutter under my breath. I shoot my teammates dirty looks as I cross the room to her, and thankfully most of them have the decency to cover their junk.

Luke cackles from his cubby, bending over in a fit of laughter. "Oh my God..."

"Zip it," I growl over my shoulder at him.

Mabel covers her face in her hands, her cheeks flushed a deep pink. "There's so many of them... I'm such an idiot."

I have to bite back a laugh. Sure, Mabel's intelligent, but what did she really think would happen?

"What are you doing here?" I ask lightly.

"I got the job," she mumbles into her palms. "I was excited so I walked over here, but...I've never seen so many penises in my life, Alex. I'm so humiliated."

Despite our surroundings, I can't help but pull her into a hug. "You got the job? That's so great, babe."

Mabel returns the hug halfheartedly and then shuffled backwards, one hand still cupped over her eyes while the other searches blindly for the door handle. "I'll, um...meet you outside. Okay?"

She doesn't wait for my response, and as soon as her fingers latch onto the door knob, she rushes back out into the hall.

"...at least she's hot," someone says from across the room. "She can look at my cock all day long as long as she promises to stick that pretty little mouth of hers on it."

"Shh, shut up man, he'll hear you," another voice responds frantically.

I spin on my heel, my spine straightening defensively. "I dunno who just ogled my fucking girlfriend, but keep your eyes and hands to yourself, douchebags."

"Or what?" My gaze lands on a freshman towards the back of the room. He's a D-man and is wearing a cocky grin as he crosses his arms over his chest defiantly. "She's fair game if she walks into a goddamn locker room, Woods."

"Garrett..." Davey, the prick who danced with Mabel over a month ago, clamps a hand on the guy's shoulder in warning.

My jaw tightens, my teeth clenching together painfully, and I stalk across the room to them. "Wanna say that again, asshole?"

Garrett's smile wavers the tiniest bit, and his Adam's apple visibly bobs up and down as he swallows harshly. "Yeah. She's—"

I don't give him the chance to finish. With one hand keeping my towel secure, I raise the other one, my fist colliding with the edge of his jaw. Garrett stumbles back, his fingers catching on the metal frame of a locker just in time to keep him from landing on his ass.