thirty-eight;

____________________

"Alex?"

I lift my head at the sound of my sister's voice, confusion knitting my brows together. What the hell is she doing here?

Lizzie hurries over to me, dropping to her knees and taking my hands in hers. Her hair has been dyed to a muted teal color, and her cheeks are flushed a vibrant pink from the cold.

"What the hell happened to your knuckles?" she demands, shooting me a disapproving look. "Oh my God, your lip." 

I slip my hands from her grasp and turn my head away from her, staring at the floor. "I'm fine."

Mabel is the one who's in rough shape. A few bruises and cuts are nothing compared to...

"Alex," Lizzie murmurs, her tone pleading.

With a sigh, I swivel my gaze back to her face. "Why are you here, Lizzie? Don't you have a job to get back to on the east coast?"

She scowls at me and narrows her eyes. "Don't play that game with me, asshole. You can't just call me and tell me your girlfriend had someone try and murder her and expect me not to—"

"Ex," I cut in, the word hissing out from between my clenched teeth. "Ex-girlfriend."

A loud smacking sound pierces the air, and it takes me a moment to realize that she's hit me. The pain just doesn't register, and it isn't until several onlookers begin whispering and staring at us with mouths gaping that I realize what's happened.

"What the f—"

Lizzie clamps a hand over my mouth and gets to her feet. "No. You're going to listen to me, asshat, so come on."

"Liz please don't," I grumble. "Not now."

"I flew halfway across the country for you," she states simply, an obvious attempt to try and guilt trip me.

"I didn't ask you to," I remind her calmly.

"A good sister doesn't ignore her baby brother's plea for help. Which is what you need by the way. Help," she pauses for a moment, pondering something. "Do you need me to get in touch with a lawyer?"