fourteen;

____________________

Thursday morning, as expected, Alex arrives in his truck to pick me up from the hotel lobby

Thursday morning, as expected, Alex arrives in his truck to pick me up from the hotel lobby. He's dressed in a black long sleeved tee and dark wash jeans that he's paired with his usual pair of worn-in black Timberland boots.

"Hey," he greets me, leaning over the console to press his lips to my hair. "You look gorgeous."

I roll my eyes in an attempt to brush off his compliment, but my heart still reacts, pounding in my chest. I haven't done anything particularly special to my appearance, though Hazel did insist that I wear a dress before she left. Much to her disappointment I had picked something more conservative: a long sleeved charcoal grey sweater dress that I paired with flat heeled brown leather boots.

I pull off my bright blue wool mittens once I'm inside the truck and warm my fingers against the heating vents.

"Did you seriously bring your book bag?" Alex asks with a grin, gesturing to my backpack on the floor.

I let out a huff, my lips twisting into a pout. "Of course I did. I wasn't lying when I said I was using the break to prepare for finals." My bag is packed with pajamas, a change of clothes for the ride home tomorrow, my laptop and charger, biology textbook, flash cards, and several notebooks from my classes. I suppose packing light isn't in my vocabulary.

"Just a fair warning, don't let my family scare you off. My sister can be a little...exuberant," Alex warns. "And she gets it from my mother."

I shake my head at him with a smile. "I'm sure they're both lovely women."

"And you gotta cut that polite shit out, Mabes. Otherwise they'll eat you alive."

"So I can't be nice?" I tease, rolling my eyes.

"You're never nice," he retorts with his trademark grin.

I purse my lips and reach out to pinch his cheek. "Shut up, I'm the nicest and you know it."

✖️✖️✖️

I don't know what I was expecting the cabin to look like, maybe more like an actual cabin made with logs and a fireplace. Even though the one we arrive at has wooden siding , it also has a garage, two floors complete with a basement, and large windows that overlook the mountainous landscape. It's anything but the modest cabin in the woods I was expecting. But then again, I guess that's Aspen for you.