BONUS CHAPTER #2

A/N:

This bonus chapter takes place BEFORE the first one that was posted and the epilogue. These chapters will tend to bounce around a little but timing wise, but hopefully they still make sense.
Anywho, here's the second bonus chapter!

____________________

I fucking loathe airplanes

I know they're safe to be on for traveling, they wouldn't be stuffing people inside like sardines if they weren't, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. That doesn't mean I feel safe in them. One wrong move and an airplane becomes a giant, metal, flying death trap.

Yeah, not my cup of tea.

And yet somehow I managed to be on a flight from Denver, Colorado to California. All it took was one pleading look from Mabel—during a Skype call no less—and I stuffed myself in a window seat and sat white knuckled the entire way.

It'll be the first time we've seen each other face to face in a little over a month. Mabel, Hazel, Tyler, and I have pooled our money together to rent a beach vacation house for the week. I'm the last to be arriving since I was busy helping my sister move into her new apartment in Denver, so I take a taxi from the airport once I've landed.

My mind is exhausted from the anxiety flying brought on, but as I sit in the back of the cab my body is buzzing with excitement. As soon as the driver pulls into the driveway I hand over a fistful of cash and slip out the door with my luggage, darting for the front door to the beach house.

It's nothing overly impressive. A simple bungalow with floor-to-ceiling windows to let in the natural light and enhance the view of the beach. It sits on a hill with half of the house lifted off the ground to keep it safe from high tide and erosion of the beach.

No one answers the door when I knock so I quietly let myself inside, finding an open, inviting living area and kitchen. I can see Tyler and Hazel out on the deck through the sliding glass door. He's cooking hotdogs on a grill, shirtless with nothing but swim trunks and sunglasses, while Hazel sunbathes in a lawn chair on the opposite side of the deck.

I head down a narrow hallway to where two bedrooms are positioned directly across from one another. One of them has the door open, and I assume it's the room Tyler and Hazel picked, so I gently knock on the other room's door.

Mabel answers the door in just a robe, her dark hair damp and clinging to her cheeks. Her skin has darkened already from the sun, and she's even acquired new freckles that pop against her sun-kissed face. Her pale green eyes seem extraordinarily bright in contrast to the new tan she's sporting.
Seeing her is like a breath of fresh air. My muscles automatically relax as the nervousness I felt before leaves my body.

I pull her against me, dropping my bags on the floor, and hug her tightly. "I missed you."

She squeezes her arms around me tightly and pulls back to press a kiss to the underside of my jaw. "I missed you too."