seventeen;

____________________

"I hate you," I grumble into the receiver of my phone

"I hate you," I grumble into the receiver of my phone. I hip-check the front door closed and collapse onto my couch with a huff.

"I don't know why you're complaining," Hazel snickers. "I woke up and was fine this morning."

"You also didn't have to be up until almost noon!" Bitterness seeps into my tone. "You try taking an exam hungover at eight in the morning."

"Ew, no thanks." She makes a mock barfing sound that sounds surprisingly realistic. "How do you think you did?"

I kick off my shoes and watch as they fly across the living area. "I mean it was English so I probably did fine since I've had the paper written—"

She cuts me off. "It wasn't even an exam then!"

"Shut up," I whine. "I was still hungover. It sucked."

"Wanna do round two when I get home from work?"

"Heck no!" I groan internally just at the thought of it. "We can have another girl's night after break. I still need to recover."

"Aw, such a party pooper," she teases with a laugh.

"Don't—" My reply is cut short by a series of frantic knocks on the front door. "Hang on, someone's at the door."

"Uh-oh, better make sure we picked up from last night in case it's our RA."

"Crap." I sit up abruptly to look over the edge of the couch, and sure enough the box wine is still out on the counter. "I'm going to have to let out go." More knocking. "Love you bye."

I end the call and race into the kitchenette to put away the wine and put the glasses in the sink. When I'm positive that all signs of our underage drinking have been hidden, I head for the door.

"Alex?"

As I pull back the door to my dorm suite I find him standing on the other side of it, his golden-brown hair sticking up in frozen tendrils. His hands are buried deep in the pockets of his track pants, and his face is pinched in concern.