BONUS CHAPTER #1;

ANNOUNCEMENT:
In celebration of BT hitting +150k reads, being added to one of Wattpad's Chicklit profile's reading list, AND hitting +1k followers I have decided to treat you guys to a BONUS CHAPTER.
Can you tell it's been a great week? 😭❤️

____________________

"So how was your first week of classes?" Nichole asks

"So how was your first week of classes?" Nichole asks. She's almost hesitant with her question, but at the same time I feel as though she's testing me. Waiting to see if I've either regressed or progressed over the summer.

"Decent," I answer carefully. It had been a bit overwhelming being thrown back into the swing of things, but not necessarily unpleasant. "I like that my courses this semester will be keeping me busy."

Her office hasn't changed much. She still has the same set up. I sit on the couch that's just soft enough to be comfortable, but not so much that I want to sink back and forget the world. On her desk a new picture has been added next to the one of her and her husband. It's a newborn picture of a baby girl with strawberry blonde hair and chubby cheeks.

"And with most of your liberal courses out of the way have you decided on a major?"

"I'm thinking about going for a degree in Fisheries and Wildlife," I nearly whisper. "I would really love a job in the Department of Natural Resources I think."

She tilts her head to one side with a soft smile and she writes on the pad of paper in her lap. "Mabel, you keep using the phrase 'I think.' Are you unsure of your decision?"

"It's not that."

"So you've decided that Fisheries and Wildlife will be your major?"

I nod once, my fingernails digging into my palms. "Yes."

"Then that's great. I'm happy that you have a goal in sight. It'll be something to focus on if you have a bad day." Nichole's smiles are always so genuine and contagious. They always make my chest swell with pride.

We've talked about it before and it's something we're still trying to work through, but we've found that my happiness and confidence tends to rely a lot on other people. Sure, it's healthy to feel good after being praised, but due to my upbringing it's a lot harder to feel that way without praise.

"And how are things on the home front?" She adjusts herself in her seat, crossing one leg over the other. "Did you end up moving in with Alex?"

I bite my lip and nod. I had spent half of my summer in (Washington?) with Aunt Jo, and the other half living with Alex and his roommates. One big happy family that I never thought I would get the chance to have.

"Isn't it a little cramped?" Nichole asks with a chuckle. "Three fully grown men and two women. You must be stepping on each other's toes constantly being in one house together."