forty;

____________________

I want Mabel back in my life

I want Mabel back in my life. Not as friends like before, I don't think I can revert back to that, and from the look she's giving me I think she feels the same way. A million different scenarios begin flashing through my head.

What if she doesn't want me in her life at all? What if she does? Does she want to be friends? Does she want to be more? I squeeze my eyes shut for a moment while I wait for her response, willing my mind to quiet down.

When I open them again she's chewing her lower lip between her teeth.

God dammit if I could just...

"Do you want to be together?" Mabel finally asks.

I clear my throat quietly and reach for her hand, running my thumb over her scraped fingers. "Yeah, I do."

"Me too," she replies quietly.

I release a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding, feeling as though a weight has lifted from my shoulders. This girl—no, this woman—has no idea the hold she has on me. No idea how much she means to me. I never thought that I would fall in love, not at such a young age anyway, but now I can't imagine a life without her in it. I went down that road before, and I don't want to go back. It was too lonesome and dark without Mabel there to light the way. A life filled with meaningless sex and flirting isn't one that I want to live anymore.

I want the cheesy shit. The good, the bad...with her I want it all. As morbid as it sounds, I'm just happy that she's still here with me and not laying in a box six feet under. I need her in my life. I've never met someone who so easily changed me for the better. And I can't help but think that maybe, just maybe, she might need me too.

"I love you so fucking much," I tell her earnestly. The words flow from my mouth so easily now, but they don't seem like enough. They don't feel like they're enough. Those three little words only offer an inkling of the amount of genuine affection I feel towards Mabel. "I promise that I'll do everything in my power to make sure that this time it's just us. No more crazy interference, just you and me, the way it should've been from the get-go."