twenty-six;

____________________

I spend the next few nights at the hotel with Mabel, and each night we're both woken up by her night terrors

I spend the next few nights at the hotel with Mabel, and each night we're both woken up by her night terrors. It kills me to know that there's nothing that I can do to make them go away, and though I still hold her every time she wakes up screaming, it just feels like it's not enough.

By the third night, she finally agrees to attend a self-defense class, claiming that she only wants to try to give herself some piece of mind and hopefully and good night's sleep. I can tell that the restlessness she's been experiencing has begun to take its toll physically, that it's starting to become a problem, so I'm quick to make the plans with Tyler. I figure that with Mabel's anxiety the last thing she'll want is to attend something big with lots of strangers, so Tyler and I decide to keep it close knit and small.

"Ready?" I call out from the bed. I'm sitting on the edge of the mattress and fiddling with my phone as I wait for Mabel who locked herself in the bathroom to get ready about a half an hour ago.

"Just give me like three more minutes," she says through the door. A crash echoes from inside, followed by a string of "curse words" that leave her lips.

"We're just going to the gym," I remind her, my knee bouncing anxiously. I place a firm hand on top of it to keep it still but it's no use.

Finally, she steps out. Her dark hair is pulled up into a high pony-tail, exposing the slender column of her neck, and she's dressed in black athletic leggings and one of my old cut-off t-shirts with a gray sports bra.

"Well?" she asks hesitantly, her teeth clamping down on her lower lip. "Is this okay? I don't really go to the gym that often..."

"You, and your ass, look great," I tell her with a wink.

That's one of the great things about leggings. Sure, there was an argument awhile back about whether or not they could be considered "real" pants, but in my opinion they're one of the best creations of man-kind. The things they do for the booty is right up there with the internet.