seven;

____________________

PH 202 College Physics has been cancelled

We will meet again on the date of our next scheduled lecture.
Edward Touchinski Ph. D.

I stare at the note posted on the door and let out a deep sigh. Of course it's cancelled. And of course that old timer didn't bother to let anyone know ahead of time. For fucks sake he still uses one of those old fashioned projectors that you write on with those stupid smear prone markers when presenting. It's not exactly a surprise that he rarely ever sends out emails to alert his students of anything.

"Crazy old fucker," I mutter under my breath.

Shaking my head, I turn on my heel to head for the main doors. It's then that I see her. Mabel rushes into a room near the entrance, her head is hung low but I can still make out the wetness that stains her cheeks as they shine in the fluorescent lighting. My chest tightens at the sight of her, and then—if at all possible—manages to constrict even further at the sound of a heavy door slamming shut behind her.

Without thinking, I rush down the hall after her. My stomach lurches into my throat as I pause at the door with my hand lingering mere centimeters from the handle.

What the hell am I doing? I chastise myself internally, clenching my teeth. What am I gonna do? Waltz in there and...what?

Mabel and I don't know each other well enough that she'll spill out whatever has gotten her so upset, and if by some chance she does, am I even ready for that? It's what a friend would do though, right?

It's also what a boyfriend would do, a voice in my head points out.

A muffled cry rings out from inside and before I can stop myself I'm pushing open the door.

"Mabel...?" I ask hesitantly.

A sniffle sounds from the corner of the tiny space and I reach out along the wall blindly, fumbling for a light switch.

"I'm going to turn on the light." I wait for a response, and when there is none, I flick the switch up anyway.

The scene laid out before me breaks my fucking heart in two.