six;

____________________

It's been close to three weeks since Alex declared us "friends," and honestly I have to agree with the term

It's been close to three weeks since Alex declared us "friends," and honestly I have to agree with the term. Hazel balked at the idea of a friendship forming between the two of us at first, but now she doesn't even bat an eye when Alex comes over either to study or just hang out. She keeps her distance, but I can tell she's worried about me. Hell, even I'm worried about me.

Hazel, Mia, and I are eating lunch in our favorite dining hall when I feel a tap on my shoulder that sends a wave of heat down my spine. I know exactly who it is without turning around. I've become used to Alex's woodsy, masculine cologne.

Mia's eyebrows shoot towards the ceiling, her fork hovering near her mouth.

Alex straddles a chair backwards beside me, leaning forward on his elbows. "Hey Mabes," he greets me with a lazy grin.

"Alex," I reply as I take a bite of my grilled cheese. I'm all too aware of the stares of six girls behind me as their eyes bore into the back of my head. Being around Alex attracts a lot of attention from women, and I'm still not entirely used to their glaring.

He steals the other half of my sandwich and takes a bite, chewing thoughtfully. "So I was thinking..."

"Shocker there," I mutter under my breath.

A deep laugh rumbles in his chest. "There's a party this Saturday."

I stay silent, pausing mid-bite.

"It's going to be a victory party," he continues.

"Victory party?"

"We play Dartmouth at seven that night."

"Getting a little ahead of yourself, don't you think?" I glance sideways at him warily. I know what's coming.

"We've played a practice game against them already before the season started, and they aren't doing too hot this year. It'll be an easy win," Alex explains. "I'm inviting you. And your friends too if they want to come."