thirty-nine;

____________________

"I'm fine," I say for the umpteenth time

"I'm fine," I say for the umpteenth time. "Really, I am. I just blew a few stitches."

Alex doesn't look convinced. He crosses his arms over his chest and glowers disapprovingly at me. "You pushed yourself too hard."

I roll my eyes, but deep down I know he's right. Why did I have to be so stubborn?

Dr. Ludwig wasn't very impressed with me either when she had to restitch my incision. She wore a similar expression to the one Alex is wearing when she put me on strict bed rest. And just like that, my plan to be up and out of here as soon as possible vanished.

I fiddle with the edge of the scratchy blanket draped over my legs, chewing my lower lip thoughtfully. Is now an okay time to bring up our conversation from the elevator?

The sound of metal scraping against the floor breaks me from my thoughts, and I look up to find Alex dragging a chair closer to my bed. He flips it around and sits on it backwards, laying his arms over the back of it.

"Lizzie is in town," he says, swiping his thumb over his bruised lip. It's looking better since the first time I saw it. The cut has scabbed over completely, and the bruising has lightened to a faint greenish yellow.

"She knows what happened then," I reply slowly.

"Yeah, I told her the gist of it." He cocks his head to the side and studies my face, searching for any clues that I might be upset. "I didn't expect her to fly out here."

"It's okay. What you saw was probably really...fucked up." I wrinkle my nose as the curse word leaves my lips. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. "It was probably pretty traumatizing," I add with a dry laugh.

"Traumatizing?" He echoes, testing out the sound of the word. "For me?"

"Well, yeah. You had to witness someone being assaulted."

Alex shakes his head with a sigh. "The only part of what happened that might've been 'traumatizing' was the fact that you were the one that fucker had his hands on, Mabes."