thirty-three;

____________________

When I finally wake up it's to an empty bed

When I finally wake up it's to an empty bed. A frown tugs at the corners of my mouth as I attempt to back track through my thoughts.

Did Alex say he has hockey practice this morning? I run my fingers over the rumpled bedding on his side to find that it's cool to the touch. How long has he been gone? I wonder as I swing my legs over the edge of the mattress. My legs feel like jello from the events of last night, the muscles in my thighs not used to such a workout.

With my arms held high above my head in a morning stretch, I let out a satisfied groan before getting up to find something to wear. I settle on a zip-up hoodie and a pair of jeans that Alex insisted I keep at his place, which is far better than the red dress I wore last night. At least this way I'll be a little more comfortable.

Ten minutes later, after getting dressed and brushing my teeth, I'm padding down the hallway and heading for the staircase when I hear Kelsey's voice drift up from below.

"I'm telling you the truth," I hear her say in an exasperated tone.

Why is she here? I inch closer to the steps, bearing my weight carefully as to not disturb the old floor boards.

"Take another test then," Alex responds coldly. "And then show me."

I take a few more steps, hugging the wall on my way down. What's going on?

"You don't believe me? Seriously Alex? After everything—"

The sharp sound of glass shattering cuts her off. It causes me to jump, but curiosity gets the better of me and I continue down the staircase. I make it to the main floor and hover near the kitchen archway, listening intently as Alex lets out a string of curse words.

"Why the hell would I trust you, Kelsey?" He growls and another loud thud follows his words. "You're fucking nuts. How do I know this isn't just some set up?"