nineteen;

____________________

Okay, so Alex might know a thing or two about romance

Okay, so Alex might know a thing or two about romance. I officially feel "wooed." The only thing we've done is step inside the tiny art studio and just the mere sight of the pottery wheel, and the effort I know it must've taken to do this, has my heart gushing.

And who would've thought that a simple romantic gesture would be enough to get me all hot and bothered? I certainly didn't.

"This is amazing," I tell him earnestly. "I haven't seen a pottery wheel since my high school art class. I used to love going in the art room to play around on it."

I leave out the part that the reason I spent so much time in the art room was because of my lack of friends. Between being a cop's daughter and my social awkwardness brought on by anxiety and fear, it made sense that I spent most of my high school career alone. But bringing that up would surely spoil the mood, so I hold my tongue.

"I had no idea," Alex murmurs into my hair. He wraps his arms around my middle, squeezing me so tightly that the wind is nearly knocked out of me. "I'm glad you like it."

I press my lips to the side of his neck and squeeze him back. My heart flutters in my chest, overwhelmed from such a high amount of attention, and I disentangle myself from Alex's hold before three little words have a chance to come free.

I've never loved anyone before, I remind myself. Maybe all men are like Alex.

But even the thought rings false in my head. No one has ever put this much thought into anything for me.

"Shall we?" Alex gestures to the bench.

"There's not enough room for both of us," I say in protest.

He wiggles both eyebrows at me. "Oh yes there is. We're going full Ghost."

He takes a seat on the bench and pats his thigh. Hesitantly, I cross the room and sit on his leg.

"I'm not too heavy?" I ask self-consciously.

"Nah. You're as light as a feather, babe."

I relax into him at the reassurance, letting my full weight rest on him. Alex leans forward, following my lead as I dip my hands into the water and rest them on the clay. He rests his chin on my shoulder, his arms resting on the outer edges of my own.