twenty-seven;

____________________

I never thought in a million years that I would be learning self-defense, or that it would bring such a sense of accomplishment

I never thought in a million years that I would be learning self-defense, or that it would bring such a sense of accomplishment. Yet here I am, feeling giddy from the endorphins that rush through me. I feel like I could take on the world, and more importantly, that I could win.

I take a swig of my water bottle as I sit against the cool window, sighing contentedly. Hazel squats down beside me, holding her hand out expectantly, and I hand over the water for her to take a drink.

"Have I become one of those girls who idolizes everything her boyfriend does?" I ask as I watch Alex hurl his fists at a punching bag.

Hazel sputters on the drink, nearly choking as she laughs. "What are you talking about, babe?"

I nod my head in Alex's direction. "Just looking at him is making me all hot and bothered."

"Oh, shit," she chuckles. "You're like a teenage boy."

I glare at her from over my shoulder. "I am not."

When I glance back to Alex and find that he's taken off his shirt, my eyes widen. The muscles in his back ripple and shift with every move as he bounces from foot to foot, jabbing the punching bag repeatedly. Heat swells in my lower region and I have to bite my lip to keep back a moan that wants to rip free. Damn that's hot...wait, no. Hazel is right.

"Told ya so," she says in a sing-song voice.

"Oh shut up."

✖️✖️✖️

Later that night, after a quick bite to eat, Alex and I return to my hotel. It's my last night here since the dorms open up for tomorrow, and I'm determined to make the most of it.

I step into the jetted shower, relaxing instantly as the hot water cleanses away all of the sweat from earlier. I make a mental note to look into getting multiple shower heads when I move into my own place later on down the road because these are an absolute -must.