Chapter 1

I stood up off of my bed and stretched my hands high above my head, my spine clicked loudly and a moan of discomfort escaped my mouth as my muscles were stiff and aching from laying on my bed in front of my laptop. I had spent the entirety of the evening finishing an essay on tsunamis for geography, which was due in tomorrow.

My mind was swimming with images of death and destruction from the photos and articles I had seen, and as a result of that I was now feeling rather deflated.

As I padded across my room to the upstairs landing my stomach let out an almighty growl in protest of what little food I had consumed that day. I stumbled down the stairs, clinging to the banister, feeling almost nauseous with hunger; I walked along the hallway past the living room and heard raised voices and loud bangs - I thought nothing of this as my brother often spent his evenings gaming on one of his many consoles. I continued out to the kitchen and shivered as I first stepped onto the cold floor tiles. I hugged myself for warmth.

Our kitchen was one of the largest rooms in the house as it had been knocked through to the dining room giving it a very spacious feel. The kitchen itself was lined along three walls with counters, overhead cupboards and other electrical appliances. The room was relatively modern with its charcoal grey floor tiles and pristine white counters and cupboards, I always thought this was a rather harsh room though that would benefit from an injection of colour to soften its coldness.

I placed a mug from the overhead cupboard to my immediate left onto the worktop beneath and deposited a tea bag in it, I then opened the fridge and stood on the very tips of my toes to reach for the milk on the top shelf. I stretched my arm as far as it would go and hooked my wrist so I could reach the back of the shelf however all my efforts were in vain as my 5ft3 frame hindered me once again.

I heard a soft chuckle and turned around to see my older brother Dan smirking at me whilst leaning against the doorframe into our kitchen. Dan was eighteen, two years older than me, and in his last year at school; he's tall and athletically built, he has short hair the same dark brown colour as mine, his skin is pale and in the dim light almost glowing; his deep brown eyes the colour of chocolate, that mirror my own, were bright and dancing as he eyed the bottle of milk that sat inches from my fingertips.

"Need a hand there Fran?" He asked, a mischievous grin spreading wide across his face. He was clearly enjoying my struggle too much.

"No thanks, I've got this." I replied confidently. Even though we both knew I was not tall enough to reach I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing that I needed his help.  Whilst I loved my brother dearly, the last thing I wanted was to provide him with more ammunition for his banter which most often involved jibes about my height. I twisted myself around and continued to stretch upwards unsuccessfully. I felt a strong arm reach around my waist as Dan shifted me to the side with ease and handed me the milk. I stuck my tongue out at him and went about making a cup of tea.

"We have pizza by the way, there should be a slice of margarita left if you want it." Dan mentioned over his shoulder and he felt around for some cans of Pepsi on one of the lower shelves in the fridge. Appalled by his disregard for anyone else but himself I shook my head and inwardly cursed him.

"How on earth can you eat almost an entire pizza to yourself?" I yelled angrily, annoyed that I was left with only one slice.

"Whoa calm down!" He held his hands up with a mock look of terror on his face, "I didn't." He exclaimed "The lads are just over, so you're lucky there's actually any left." I had heard the sounds of explosions and gunfire from the living room on my way towards the kitchen, undoubtedly from the Xbox, but I assumed Dan was alone. I must say I was pretty amazed that a group of teenage boys could be so quiet that I hadn't realised that they were here.