Chapter 19

"Dinner's ready!" Dan yelled to me as I swung open the front door to our house twenty minutes after leaving Ethan's house.

I stepped through the doorway, quickly dumped my bag upstairs and ran through to the kitchen where  I could smell spaghetti bolognese. Dan placed two plates down on the table as I grabbed two pairs of knives and forks.

"So how'd your maths thing with Ethan go?" Dan asked between bites of spaghetti.

"Huh?" I responded without thinking.

"Well you said that you were going over Ethan's after school for some more maths tuition..." He replied, eyeing me suspiciously. I had texted Dan earlier in the day to tell him I would be home later, however I had lied and said that I was just seeing Ethan for maths. I felt guilty for lying to him yet I knew that he would react badly to the truth.

"Oh yeah, sorry my mind's a bit dead, um yeah it was fine." I winged it and hoped that Dan would believe me.

"Oh good. By the way Carrie's coming over tonight!" He said excitedly.

"Aw she hasn't been over in a while." I commented, smiling sweetly.

Carrie is my brother's girlfriend. They've been together for almost a year now and she's a really nice girl. Carrie was short like myself yet slimmer, she had a petite frame and a smiling round face; she had shoulder length, wavy blonde hair, slightly tanned skin and shiny green eyes.

I first met Carrie about nine months ago when my brother brought her home for dinner one day. She instantly charmed us all and by the end of the night we loved her.

"Yeah well she's been pretty busy lately with exam revision." Dan said, sounding a little disappointed.

"Well that's what you get for having an intellectual girlfriend Dan!" I said laughing, hoping to cheer him up a little.

"Yeah well you'd know all about being with someone intellectual!" He said chuckling to himself.

"What are you talking about?" I asked curiously.

"Come 'on Fran I know you like Ethan." He said plainly.

"What I don't-"

"Don't even bother trying to lie about it. I'm your brother. I have lived with you for sixteen years. I know when you like someone." He said rather smugly. I sat there mouth-agape, not knowing what to say.

"It's OK you know, I'm not mad or anything. I mean I've made my feelings clear about Ethan but it's your decision, not mine." He smiled at me at then continued eating. I was touched by Dan's sensitivity.

"Aw Dan you're so-"

"Don't even think about calling me cute!" I he cut me off and glared at me. I laughed at him. "I am not cute Fran. I am manly and masculine." He stated confidently.

"Yes Dan, you are very manly which of course if why you own a t-shirt with a unicorn on!" I said sarcastically between bursts of giggles. Dan smacked me playfully on the shoulder and I retaliated by nudging him with my foot.

"Love ya Fran." Dan giggled.

"Love ya too Dan!" I said smiling happily.

~

My phone buzzed loudly on the bed next to me, drawing my attention away from the magazine I was flicking through. I tapped on the screen and saw that I had a text from Ethan; seeing his name caused butterflies to erupt in my stomach and a goofy grin soon spread across my face.

I unlocked my phone and opened the message from Ethan.

I really enjoyed seeing you today ;) x

I could feel myself blushing at his text. Crap how do I respond? What can I say back that sounds flirty but not over eager? Funny but not like I'm trying too hard?

In a desperate frenzy I flipped open my laptop and typed in 'cute things to text a guy you like'. Wow I'm pathetic. The screen was filled with suggestions about using cute smiley faces, kisses and jokes but none of them actually gave me something to say. Shit.

I typed, deleted and then retyped my response to him about five times before I sent it.

Me too! We should do it again soon :p x

I sighed loudly and nerves began to take over me. Was it cute enough? Did it make me seem desperate? Will he just ignore me forever now because I'm such an awkward human being?

My phone buzzed signalling his response.

Definitely! I've got to go now but I guess I'll see ya around school. Bye x

My thumbs nervously tapped against the screen. Shit shit shit what do I say now?!

OK bye :) x

I typed the text and hit send. Wow I suck at flirting. What could someone like Ethan possibly see in me anyway?

I sighed frustratedly and turned my light off before going to sleep. I dreamt of Ethan again that night but I wasn't surprised because he was all I thought about these days.