Chapter 49

The days passed by; days turned to weeks and soon it had been a month since Ethan has left me crying on the stairs.

I walked up the driveway to my house after spending the evening over at Paige's house.

Paige was now thirteen weeks pregnant and about to move into her second trimester; her morning sickness and fatigue had started to wear off and finally now she was starting to show a pregnancy bump, albeit a very small one.

Darren had stood by Paige over the last few weeks and had stepped up to his role as the soon-to-be-father of her child. He spent every minute possible with her and they had really grown as a couple.

The abuse that Paige was receiving had worsened dramatically soon after everyone had found out about the pregnancy; for the past few weeks she has been under constant scrutiny from people in school and some have even taken to sending her hate over the internet. On the outside Paige seemed to be coping but I had know her for long enough to know that she had just put up walls; inside she was struggling and things were hard for her. This evening, whilst I was over her house, I had spent almost two hours just comforting her whilst she sobbed on my lap, I know her hormones won't be helping her mood swings right now but she seems to smile less every day. I can only hope that things improve for her.

I walked up to the front door and went to get my keys out but I noticed that the door was already open slightly. I glanced around confusedly before tentatively pushing the door open; the hallway was empty and as I stepped into the house I could hear voices coming from the kitchen so I slipped my shoes off and crept down the hall.

I stopped by the doorframe into the kitchen and I was about to walk in when I heard his voice.

Ethan's POV

It had been a month since I had left Fran crying on the stairs. I was more than hurt by what she had said to me then but I knew she was right. I had messed everything up between us and if I hadn't been so stupid we could still be together.

This past month had been incredibly difficult to me as I have been without two of my best friends: Dan obviously and then now Darren as he spends most of his time with Paige. I needed my friends back and I knew I had to start with Dan.

I pulled up outside Fran and Dan's house and took a few deep breaths before exiting the car. I slowly ambled up the driveway and tried to keep as calm as possible. I stopped before the all too familiar front door and knocked. The seconds passed by and for a moment I seriously considered running away. I waited and waited and just as I was about to turn away and leave the door swung open. Dan's eyes widened in surprise at the sight of me and he looked taken back, this were quiet for a minute and then he shook his head in an attempt to regain his composure.

"What are you doing here?" He growled.

"I wanted to talked to you." I replied quietly.

"I have nothing to say to you." He snapped as he went to shut the front door.

"Dan wait." I shouted as I slammed my palm against the door to prevent him from shutting it. "I don't wanna fight anymore, I want things to just go back to how they were." I begged.

"Do you really think things can possibly go back to how they were after what you've done?" He snapped but he made no further effort to shut the door which I took as a sign that he might hear me out.

"Yes." I answered plainly.

Dan sighed exasperatedly. "Fine." He grumbled as he stepped turned around and walked towards the kitchen; I took this as an invitation to follow so I stepped through the door, lazily pushing it behind me; the door didn't shut properly but as I moved to close it Dan yelled
impatiently from the kitchen for me to hurry up, causing me to leave the door and rush towards the kitchen.

I entered the room and took a seat opposite Dan at the table. "So..." I breathed out.

"So?" Dan responded with irritation.

"Well,  um, first of all I can't tell you how sorry I am for what happened." I said sheepishly, Dan scoffed loudly but I ignored him and continued. "I was stupid-"

"Yes." He interjected.

"I was an idiot-"

"Clearly." Dan grunted. I was starting to get annoyed at his constant interruptions but I held back and took it on the chin.

"It was a shitty thing to do-"

"Obviously." Dan mumbled whilst rolling his eyes.

"I'm a massive asshole-"

"Evidently." Dan retorted sounding very uninterested.

Fran's POV

"Evidently." Dan retorted sounding incredibly bored.

"You know what Dan yes I fucked up but you know what you're not exactly perfect either!" Ethan yelled and I heard a loud thud that sounded like him slamming his hand down on the table.

"Yes but I've never done something to intentionally hurt anyone, especially not my best friend's sister." Dan replied angrily.

"That's bullshit! Last month you punched me in the face and you can't tell me that was without the intent to hurt me." Ethan countered.

"That was different and you know it!" Dan replied furiously.

"Do you think I actually meant to hurt Fran like that?!" Ethan screamed and I heard the scraping of chair legs against the floor that suggested that Ethan had stood up.

"It doesn't matter!" Dan roared and again it sounded like he stood from his chair.

"Yes it does! I didn't mean to hurt Fran, it was all just one massive mistake and we all make mistakes Dan; I mean you've fucked up in the past too and I stood by you through that." Ethan barked. "I'm not asking you to forget that this happened... I'm not asking you to be OK with this... hell I'm not even asking you to forgive me...I'm just asking you to stand by me now like when I was there for you." Ethan said, more calmly this time.

I heard a thud which sounded like one of them sitting back down in one of the chairs.

Things stayed silent for a minute and the air was thick with tension.

"OK." Dan sighed.

"OK what?" Ethan asked.

"I don't want to fight with you Ethan. Things were so much easier when we were friends and I'm not saying that I forgive you for what you did but I don't want to lose you as a friend." Dan said sadly, I could imagine him running his hand through his hair as he said that.

"I am truly sorry Dan and I want you to know that I would never intentionally hurt you or your family." Ethan said firmly.

"I know." Dan chuckled. I could hear shuffling and it sounded like they were getting up, aw maybe they were hugging.

I suddenly felt guilty for eavesdropping on their conversation as they were clearly having a moment so I retraced my steps to the door and swung it open loudly to make my presence known.

"I'm home." I called out before heading upstairs to my room.