Chapter 7

"Fran!" His familiar voice grasped my attention and my head snapped up to look in front of me. A grin was spread across Ethan'sface as he moved away from his group of friends in my direction.

It was lunch time now and as usual every door, exit, and hallway was crammed full of jostling bodies all trying to manoeuvre their way towards the exit.

I had been walking along a corridor in the science building, heading towards the science office with Lily to try and find her physics teacher; I actually had no idea what she needed but I hadn't been paying attention when she'd asked for somebody to go with her and so I had been dragged here against my will as a result.

I looked forwards at him and instantly felt butterflies rush into my stomach. I knew I would have to speak to Ethan at some point about him helping me with maths but this seemed to have come around too fast. Next thing I knew he was stood before me, his grin quickly changed into a smirk.

"So a little birdie told me that you were looking for someone to help you with maths..." Ethan said, raising his eyebrows in question.

"I'm guessing Dan spoke to you." I silently praised my brother for speaking to Ethan about it as that meant I didn't have to.

"Yeah he... uh... said you were having some trouble with some things... like maths things!" His voice sounded almost a little bit nervous and he reached his hand up behind his neck. It was slightly unnerving seeing him this uncomfortable.

"Yes I need to get at least a B in the exam in June and Dan mentioned that you're a bit of a nerd when it comes to maths-" He interrupted me.

"Whoa whoa I am not a nerd, ok love!" He quickly interjected.

"Fine, he said you were good at maths and you might be able to tutor me a bit, so I was just wondering if you'd be up for that?" I bit my bottom lip in apprehension.

He leaned in close to me. "You know love, that's not the only thing I'd be up for with you around!" He stared intently into my eyes, his gaze never wavering.

I felt my cheeks explode with heat.

Clearly noticing the look of shock on my face he leaned back chuckling. "God don't get your knickers in a twist darling, I was only kidding." He is infuriating.

"So I take that as a yes then?" I asked, trying desperately to change the subject.

"Yeah sure! I know it would be a bit last minute but if you're free we could start after school today, you know just go over the basics so I can see where you're struggling?" He asked, for once he wasn't smirking or winking at me.

"Uh yes that'd be fine" I replied, smiling brightly. Although the thought of seeing him alone made me nervous I was glad to finally be making progress on the maths front.

"If you want you could meet me at the end of the day in the car park and we could go to get a coffee or something and make a start on things there?" He was holding my gaze. I think he was trying to play a game or something and for some reason I didn't want to let him win.

"Yeah that'd be fine." I cocked my head to the side and gazed back into his eyes, they were bright and happy looking, I felt as if I could just look into them all day. No now I sound like a soppy idiot!

"Great. It's a date then!" The smirk was back and prominent as ever. His gaze moved down from eyes and stopped on my chest momentarily before snapping back up to look at me. "I look forward to seeing you later." He said smugly before turning around and walking back over to his friends. It's a date... He just called it a date. What is that even supposed to mean?

I felt like my head was going to explode, my brain was already swimming with thoughts, most of them Ethan related, and now he has gone and said we're going on a date. That boy really is going to be the death of me.     

~

The bell rang for the end of Spanish and the end of the day. I packed my things and rushed to the toilets for a quick hair and makeup check before meeting Ethan; whether this was a date or not he was still and human being with eyes and I didn't want to look a complete mess.

After scanning myself in the grimy mirror in the girl's toilets I decided my makeup was satisfactory and my hair wouldn't get much better than it was. I left the toilets quickly to avoid smelling of cigarettes or a blocked drain and walked towards the car park which luckily was less than a hundred metres from the building as it was starting to rain. 

I approached the car park and saw Ethan instantly. He was leaning causally against his shiny, dark blue ford fiesta chatting to a few girls who I didn't know, I guessed they were in the sixth form as well. Seeing him talking to those girls caused me to feel a pang of jealousy - what is wrong with me? I have no reason to be jealous. I picked up my pace, the sooner I got to him, the sooner we would be done and the sooner I could be at home in bed where there's no one to humiliate myself in front of.

Ethan glanced over the shoulder of one of the girls he was speaking to and noticed me heading over, he nodded his head at me and, I guess, made his excuses with the girls before of him. As I walked up to him the girls departed but not before shooting me death stares, I tried to ignore them but it made me feel incredibly self-conscious.

"Ready to go?" His voice pulled me back from my thoughts.

"Yep" I said, letting the 'p' pop at the end of the word. I pulled open the passenger door and got in as Ethan sauntered around to the driver's side. We drove in a silence for a while until I piped up.

"Uh... I uh... didn't interrupt you with those girls back there did I?" I asked worriedly, twisting my hands in my lap and staring out of the window at the houses we passed by along the road.

"Oh them..." His voice sounded unconcerned "That wasn't anything, just chatting you know." I saw him glance over in my direction out of the corner of my eye. For some reason him saying this made me feel giddy and almost joyous. "So Starbucks OK with you?" He asked.

~

We pulled up in a small car park in the middle of town, we got out of the car and started walking up the main street. Suddenly the pavement was littered with heavy raindrops bouncing high off of the ground as the heavens opened and a torrent of rain flooded down upon us.

"Ok I know I said we'd go to Starbucks but that's all the way up the road," He said, gesturing with his arms. "So how about we just go in here?" He nodded his head behind me and before I could turn around to where he was looking he took my hand and lead me to a small cafe. He shoved the door with his shoulder and held it open with one arm,  his hand rested on the small of my back as he let me go in first. I smiled up at him in thanks and scuttled through the door.

I stopped, rather abruptly, once through the door to look for some seats and Ethan walked into my back.

"Ooft! Sorry love." He rubbed my arm as he said this, my skin tingling at his touch.

His hand was on my back again as he ushered us over to a two-seater tabled in the corner of the shop. I dumped my bag on the floor and sank into one of the seats.

"Tea or coffee?" he asked.

"Tea please!" I answered before getting out my notebook, a pen and a text book.

A few minutes later he returned with a large pot of tea and two mugs on a tray which he slid on the table in front of me before pulling up a chair so that he was sitting adjacent to me. He sat down and our thighs touched. I felt my heart beating faster.

"Right so shall we make a start?" He looked into my eyes when he said this. Oh this was going to be difficult.