Chapter 31

I walked along the familiar garden path that lead up to the front of Paige's house; I stopped by the front door and timidly knocked. I heard shuffling and a few muffled thuds and then the door flung open to reveal a highly distressed looking Paige.

Here eyes were red and swollen, as mine probably were, from crying; she had tear stains down her cheeks and she was shaking slightly.

"Pai what is it?" I asked worriedly as I walked through the door and shut it behind me. She started mumbling quietly but I didn't hear a word that she said; I placed my hands on her arms and stilled her shaking. "Pai what's wrong?" I asked, my tone slightly more firm this time.

Paige let out a deep breath, took my hand in hers and lead me up the stairs and into her room; I sat down on the bed and watched her as she shut the door and leant back against it.

I looked at her quizzically as I waited for an explanation.

"I'm such an idiot." She sighed.

"No honey you're not an idiot." I cooed gently.

"Yes I am." She sobbed as her back slid down the door and she sat on the carpet. "I was so stupid."

"Paige will you please just tell me what's going on?" I pleaded.

"I-I'm pregnant." She whispered.

"W-what?" I stammered.

"I said I'm pregnant!" She screamed and she stood up and threw herself into my arms where she proceeded to sob loudly.

Pregnant. Paige was pregnant. My best friend was going to have a baby.

I didn't know what to say or do in this situation.

"D-Darren... is he-" I had so many questions racing through my head that I didn't know which to ask first.  

"Yes he's the father." She sighed as she rolled over and sat next to me on the bed.

"How far along are you?" I asked curiously.

"Almost seven weeks." She mumbled as tears continued to stream down her face. "You remember that night when we went over to Ethan's and me and Darren left early..."

"Yes?" I said, dragging out the word 'yes'.

"Well he drove me home and my parents were out so I invited him in for a bit and well one thing lead to another and...

"And you had sex." I finished the sentence for her. She nodded and hung her head in shame. "Did you use protection?"

"Well what do you think Fran?" She snapped.

"I-I'm sorry it's just sometimes even if you do..."

"No I'm sorry I shouldn't have snapped at you like that." She said quietly.

"I'm guessing this is why you didn't come to the party last night?" I murmured softly.

"No I was just feeling really rough last night, I didn't take the test until this morning... I took three different ones and they all say positive."

"I don't know what to say." I breathed out.

"You don't have to say anything." She sobbed. "Just promise me you'll be here for me?"

"Of course I will!" I exclaimed as I brought her into a tight hug.

I held her tight for few moments. I didn't want to tell her about Ethan - I didn't want to tell anybody - but I knew I'd have to.

"Pai?"

"Yeah?" She answered as she pulled back from the hug and looked at me.

"I-I..." I tried to speak but all my emotionas became too much and I started gasping for air as I began to sob.

"Shh shh hun what is it?" She asked worriedly as she rubbed my arms.

"I... I was just a b-bet!" I cried as I flung myself into her arms.

"What?! What are you talking about?" Paige cried.

"Ethan had a bet going with James that he could get me into bed."

Paige gasped and brought her hand up to her mouth. "Wait how'd you know?" She asked.

"I over heard Ethan and James talking at the party last night." I said and then wailed loudly.

"That bastard!" She growled angrily. 

"An what's more he won the bet all because I'm the idiotic slut who slept with him." I grumbled.

"Fran don't say that, you're not an idiot and you're not a slut." Paige said sternly.

"Fran I slept with him after knowing him for about 2 months!" I exclaimed.

"That doesn't matter and that certainly doesn't make you a slut... I slept with Darren after being with him for like a day... does that make me a slut?" She asked seriously.

"What no that was different I mean you'd liked him for ages and..."

"Fran face it, if you call yourself a slut you call me a slut!" Paige said in a rather matter-of-factly way.

"OK fine I'm not a slut but I'm definitely an idiot because barely five minutes before we... you know-"

"Fucked?" Paige offered light heartedly.

"No don't say it like that!" I said cringing.

"Just before we... made love," Paige scoffed at this, "He said that he slept around because he didn't want to get hurt - I mean he basically told me that he was probably going to sleep with me and then leave me, and being the idiot I am I jumped into bed with him." I sighed at the end, I was so ashamed with myself.

"You're not an idtiot Fran... You're a girl in love." Paige said plainly.

Was it really love?

"Oh my God..." I breathed out as realization kicked in. I was in love with Ethan...  and I still am. "You're right... I'm in love with him... I'm in love with him and I was nothing but a bet to him... god that sounds so pathetic." Tears stung my eyes again and I dropped my head into my hands.

"I'm sorry honey!" Paige whispered as she rubbed my back.

"Don't be, it's not like you're the one who slept with me for a bet." I mumbled.

"Boys are crap sometimes." Paige sighed.

"Not all boys though, Dan was really really great to me this morning... and he has absolutely no idea about all of this - God it's gunna kill him."

"He's your brother though, he'll always love you no matter what." She said firmly.

"I hope so..." I shook my head and sat up to look at Paige. "So when are you going to tell Darren?" I asked softly hoping to avert the subject from me and my humiliation.

"I don't know." She sighed.

I took Paige's hand in mine and together we sat in silence, wallowing in self pity and basking and the afterglow of our mistakes.