Chapter 38

I took a deep breath and rose from my seat, I stepped quickly into Mr Marsden's office and I heard the door shut softly behind me as he followed me into the room.

"Please have a seat Francesca." He said politely.

I softly sat down in the chair opposite his desk and he sat down in his large leather office chair. He sat back and brought his hands together as he looked at me.

"I would be right in thinking that this is the first time that you've been sent to me." He said questioningly.

I nodded my head nervously.

"Now I know that you're not a trouble maker Fran - is it ok it I call you Fran?" I nodded. "So yes Fran, you're not a trouble maker, I know that and you know that so I'm guessing it must have taken a lot for you to be sat before me today."               

I didn't know what to say. Was he asking a question? Was it rhetorical?

I opened my mouth to speak but he saved me from my questions by resuming his speech. "Now Fran, firstly, I have spoken to your brother and Mr Beadle and both have given me their sides of the story and I would like for you to shed some light on what happened between the two of them to cause your brother to throw a punch like that."

"Um well... I - uh - wasn't there at first, I turned up just before Dan punched Ethan, but they were arguing and Ethan said something that Dan didn't like." I murmured hesitantly.

"And what were they arguing about?" He pressed. I wasn't sure how deep I should go into things so I decided to be as vague as possible.

"Um well Ethan and I were a - uh - item I guess and things between us ended very recently and we're not exactly on good terms at the minute and I guess Dan is annoyed at Ethan and so they were arguing over what Ethan did to me." I explained.

"And so whatever it was Ethan said to you, I'm guessing that was the reason for you hitting him?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes." I whispered guiltily.

"What did he say to you that provoked you to assault him?"

"Assault?" I asked worriedly.

"Well yes that was technically assault and obviously this is just a minor incident that can be dealt with through detentions but I still need to be made aware of the situation in case we have a repeat incident in the future."

"Well he snapped at me about bringing Dan into things and I said that that was rich coming from him and he said that he knew I'd throw what happened back in his face and I-I just got so mad at how he was acting so innocent and I don't know what came over me but I just hit him... I know it was wrong and I shouldn't have done that."

Mr Marsden smiled at me softly and chuckled slightly.

"Fran I know what it's like to be a teenager - now I know it was a long time ago - but I remember how intense things can get and sometimes we don't know how to deal with them, now I am going to give your brother and Ethan a detention for their outbursts as this cannot go unpunished however I will let you off lightly as I believe that you truly do regret your actions; I must however implore you not to act like this again otherwise there will be consequences." I nodded my head and smiled thankfully at him.

"I will be calling home to your father about what has happened and you must know that I will mention your offence as well as Dan's." I gulped lightly and nodded my head understandingly.

"Well you may go now." He said smiling at me.

"Thank you sir." I said quietly as I rose from my seat.

"Ah Fran one more thing before you go?"

"Yes?" I said turning back around to face him.

"Could you please send Ethan and your brother in, I still need to discuss their punishments with them." He said gravely.

"OK." I breathed out. I exited the room and shut the door softly behind me. Out in the hallway Dan and Ethan were both slumped in their chairs and were sat as far as possible away from each other. I coughed lightly to bring their attention to me.

"Mr Marsden wants to see you both." I said quietly whilst looking at Dan but making a conscious effort not to let my gaze wonder to Ethan. Both boys rose from their chairs and made their way into Mr Marsden's office, Dan first and Ethan after him.

As he walked past, Ethan came close to me and I shut my eyes as I accidentally breathed in the smell of him. He smelt sweet, warm and familiar. His scent was a comfort to me and for a moment I relaxed however my body jerked to attention as the office door shut behind Ethan loudly.

I cursed myself for my lapse in self control and turned to make my way out of the building to meet the others for the last few minutes of lunch that remained.