Chapter 11

A nauseating jolt in my stomach woke me. I rolled over from my side onto my front. I was lying in bed with a blanket thrown over me and I was still in the clothes I wore last night. My head was thumping and I squinted as I opened my eyes.

I could feel my stomach churning again and I felt like I was going to be sick. I clasped my hand over my mouth and ran to the bathroom, which luckily was opposite my room. I fell to my knees before the toilet and braced myself ready to release the contents of my stomach. Nothing happened. My body shuddered as I continued to wretch and after a few moments I collapsed to the side.

I sat on the floor for a few minutes just breathing deeply. With great effort I reached my hand up and grabbed the side of the counter. I pulled myself off of the floor and shuffled over to the sink, I splashed some water into my mouth and spat it out again.

I looked at myself in the mirror, which was suspended on the wall in front of me: I looked a mess. My hair was still tied up but now had bits sticking out at odd angles and my makeup had mostly warn off except for my eye makeup which was now smudged down my cheeks. The combination of my pale face and smudged eye makeup made me look as if I were very ill. Or crazy.

I turned around and slowly staggered out onto the landing. The bitter smell of coffee was wafting around the house as I made my way downstairs, clinging to the banister for stability. I reached the kitchen and leant against the door frame just inhaling the smell of coffee. My stomach gave a loud rumble making me realise just how hungry I was.

Dan was sat at the table with a mug off coffee and a plate of toast, I sat down next to him and helped myself to a piece off of the plate. I was munching on my toast when Dan looked up from his drink and glared at me, he leant forwards and snatched the toast from my hand.

"Whoa what was that for?" I whined. Dan just glared at me again.

"Fran can you please tell me what happened last night?" He asked. His voice was steady but I could sense the anger behind it.

"Um well-" I began but was soon interrupted.

"No you can't and you know why? Because you were pissed out of your head!" He exclaimed, his voice rising now. "James brought you home early at half eleven and you had passed out in his car. I had to carry you upstairs and put you to bed... You threw up all over me on the way." He yelled angrily. I sheepishly looked down at my lap. Dan continued. "He said you drank for most of the evening and before he brought you home he had to prize Grant Richards off of you." He spat out. My head was still hurting and this wasn't helping.

"OK so I had a little too much to drink, you don't need to shout." I mumbled whilst rubbing my temples.

"Yeah I bet your head's pounding this morning." He commented still frowning at me. "I just can't believe you let things get so out of hand like that." He explained, his voice calming down a little now.

"Dan I hardly think you're in a position to lecture me on drinking. This is just one time - I mean you've come home drunk more nights than I can remember!" I bit out. My anger flared inside of me. "Y-you're just being a hypocrite now!"

"Yes Fran but the point is I can handle my drink whilst you evidently can't!" He spat out.

Something within me snapped. "Oh I bet you are just loving this aren't you? Getting to patronise me and treat me like a little kid! Well guess what, you're not Dad so don't try and be him!" I shouted irritably.

"Oh I'm sorry Fran" His words dripping with sarcasm. "I'm just trying to look out for you, but clearly you can handle yourself!"

"No you're not looking out for me!" I screamed. "You just like that I've finally messed up and I'm no longer the perfect child any more. You're just pleased that Dad's going to lay off of you about universities and focus on punishing me for this!" I stood up and slammed upstairs to my room. I pulled out a hoodie, grabbed my phone and stomped back downstairs again.

I glared at Dan as I entered the kitchen to collect my keys off the worktop.

"Oh and where are you going?" He yelled.

"Over to Paige's where people actually like having me around!" I screamed and stamped angrily out of the room, down the hall and through the front door, slamming it as I left.