Chapter 24

(Ethan's POV)

"So tell me Fran, am I your first boyfriend?" I asked smugly, feeling an upwards pull at the corner of my lips. I was sat with my back against the headboard of Fran's bed whilst Fran was laid down next to me with her head resting on my torso. Her body shifted up and down in time with my breathing as my chest rose and fell.

After we had finished eating at the restaurant I had accompanied Fran back to her house - whilst Dan had gone over to his girlfriend, Carrie's - so that Fran wouldn't be alone at home.

"You're not my boyfriend though!" She replied cheekily as she looked up at me.

"Oh really?" I asked sarcastically before tickling her sides, she erupted in laughter as my hands danced along her ribcage, it was one of the most beautiful sounds I had ever heard.

"No you're not..." Fran breathed out as she gasped for air. "...You're my brother's best friend who I happen to kiss a lot." She said complacently whilst smirking at me. Damn it was hot when she did that. She sent me a wink, and in return I tickled her again. Her laughter gave me butterflies and I could just listen to her all day.

"OK fine, so am I the first friend of your brothers who you happen to kiss a lot?" I asked mockingly.

"Well you're the first of my brother's friends but... um you're not my first relationship if that's what you're asking." She replied, biting her lip apprehensively.

"Oh." I answered sounding more taken back than intended. "Well who was he?" I asked curiously.

"Look we don't have to talk about this-" She began quietly but I cut her off.

"No its fine, I just want to know more about you, that's all." I said calmly. I knew that hearing about her past boyfriends would make me uncomfortable but I also knew that I wanted to know as much about this girl as possible.

"Well his name was Jordan Lynch, he's in the year above me, I don't think you'll know him because he goes to that private school outside of town." She explained quietly. I struggle to stifle a laugh as she said this. "What?" She asked, her voice had become high and squeaky in her aggravation.

"You went out with one of those posh twats?!" I asking in a mockingly well-spoken voice before, once again, breaking into laughter.

"You know not everyone in that school is a posh twat as you so rudely put it!" She snapped. I stopped laughing and looked directly at her. As my gaze fell upon her, her angelic face began to contort before she erupted into laughter.

"So what happened with you guys then?" I asked softly after she had quietened down, I laced our fingers together and rubbed the back of her hand with my thumb.

"Well we were together for quite a while, it must've been about a year... I really liked him and he told me that he loved me but then after a while he began to try and pressure me to sleep with him and when I said no he went off and found somebody else who would... and that was that." She said sadly, sighing softly at the end. Anger bubbled up inside of me - how could somebody even do that to her?

"Are you serious?" I asked, my voice flaring with rage. "What a-"

"Don't!" She shouted, silencing me with a finger to my lips.

"But-" I pleaded.

"Please just don't worry about it, it happened last year and it's not important anymore." She said, her voice pleading with me.

"How can you be so OK about this?" I asked, my voice sounding agitated. This guy had literally only been with her for sex and she couldn't seem to care less, I didn't understand.

"Because I don't want to spend my time dwelling on something that I can't change. Whether I sit here and hate him or not, he will still be the person who hurt me!" She paused and looked into my eyes. "It's easier to just move on." She said almost inaudibly.

My face softened as she spoke and I gently ran my hand over her cheek. "You sound really grown up saying it like that." I commented, feeling rather ashamed with myself.

"Yeah well..." She trailed off whilst grinning smugly at me.  "So your go!" She said, smiling up at me brightly.

"Wait what?" I answered with a look of confusion playing upon my face.              

"Well I just poured my heart out to you..." Fran said cheekily with a wink. "Now it's your go, come 'on Beadle, out with it!" She said raising her eyebrows at me.

"Well what do you want me to say?" I asked blankly.

"Tell me why you sleep around and then break girls' hearts." She replied with the same perplexity as me, she then bowed her head down to rest on my chest again. She must have felt me tense next to her at her question so she lifted her head and our eyes met. She gave me a reassuring smile and I felt more at ease.

"Well it's pretty simple really." I said, pausing dramatically. "I break girl's hearts so that they can't break mine first." I answered expressionlessly.

Fran tensed next to me and gasped.

Oh dear...