Chapter 9

The rest of the week passed by rather quickly and was relatively uneventful.

It was now lunch time on Friday and I was walking up to the canteen to meet my friends. I would normally be joined by Paige at this point but she had been off of school for the last two days with a bad case of flu.

The air was frosty as a biting wind whistled through the school. I pulled my scarf further up around my neck for warmth and jammed my hands into my coat pocket.

"Hey Fran!" A familiar voice rang through my ears, however it was not the voice I had been hoping to hear. I looked over my shoulder to see my brother's friend, James, walking in my direction away from Dan and a few other people I didn't know. He had a wide smile spread across his face.

Looking at him, I thought James was quite attractive, he had a pair of bright blue eyes that could make any girl go fuzzy in the head and a smile so dazzling it could light up any room - it was refreshing to see a smile, not a smirk.

"Oh hi!" I smiled back trying not to sound disappointed that he wasn't Ethan.

I hadn't heard from Ethan since Tuesday when we had gone out for tea. I hadn't seen him around school, he hadn't been over our house and we hadn't exchanged any more text messages.

"So how're you doing?" He asked chirpily.

"Fine thanks, you?" I replied sweetly.

"Yeah I'm good thanks. I - uh - was just wondering if you're doing anything tonight?" He enquired.

"Um no I don't think I've got much going on." I responded. I was distracted by a few year sevens running past us pushing and shoving each other. God they're so annoying.

"Oh great. Well I was just wondering... well you see there's this Sixth form party tonight in the common room here and I was wondering if you wanna go?" My head snapped back to him and butterflies swarmed to my stomach.

"Uh...-" Shit I don't go to parties...  Do I even have anything to wear?... Would there be alcohol?... God why do I have to be such a boring person.

"You know you don't have to go if you don't want to, I just thought it'd be a laugh." He smiled at me and I could feel my cheeks blushing, not at the thought of going with James but at the possibility that Ethan could be there.

"Just for a laugh?" I wanted to be clear that I wasn't getting myself into anything that could be perceived as a date.

"Yeah, so you in?" A hopeful smile played upon his lips.

"Yeah OK, it could be fun!" I couldn't help but smile at seeing his eyes light up.

"Great, well in that case I will pick you up at 7:30!" He said.

"OK see you later!" I bit back a smile.

Wow I was going to a Sixth form party. People in my year don't go to Sixth form parties. My mind wondered to Paige, she would probably explode with excitement if she were with me right now.

~

I heard a car pull up outside our house just as I had slipped my shoes on. I walked up to the full length mirror in my room to inspect myself.

I was wearing a pair of stone washed, light denim skinny jeans, a long sleeved striped t-shirt and a pair of red ballerina pumps. My hair was pulled up into a messy bun and I had put quite a bit of makeup in an attempt to mask my facial flaws. I finished off my look with a swipe of red over my lips.

I heard a car door shut. I grabbed my purse and rushed downstairs. I heard a sharp knock at the door as I reached the bottom of the stairs, I smoothed down my top and gave myself one final check in the hallway mirror before opening the door to James.