Chapter 40

The rest of the school day dragged on uneventfully and at the end of the day, as usual, Dan drove us home from school. He told me that he and Ethan have been given detention every day after school next week. I offered him a sympathetic smile and changed the subject before he could ask about my punishment as he still didn't know that I'd been let off the hook.

I couldn't help feeling guilty for getting off with a light warning whilst Dan was being punished harshly when I was just as much at fault as he was.

We pulled onto the drive and both shot each other quizzical glances as we noticed that our father's car was pulled up on the driveway. Our father normally worked until late in the evenings so we both were surprised to see him home so early. We exited and the car and I heard the jingle of keys as Dan opened the front door.

"Dad?" I called out as we walked in and dumped our bags on the floor and slipped off our shoes.

"In here." My father's voice called out from the living room. I followed Dan in and we found our father sat on the sofa with a newspaper and a cup of coffee.

"How come you're home early?" Dan asked curiously as he took a seat on the sofa adjacent to the one my father was sat on, I mirrored my brother's movements and took a seat on the sofa next my father.

"Oh I was let off of work early, there were some complications with appointments today at the hospital." He explained. "However when I got home I received a very interesting phone call from your head teacher." My father continued with a raise eyebrow.

Dan and I simultaneously shot each other wary glances and shifted uncomfortably in our seats.

"I don't know what to say... I mean fighting in school, come on guys this is completely unacceptable behaviour." My father said condescendingly.

"Sorry." Me and Dan murmured sheepishly.

"Well I'm really not the one you need to be apologizing to am I?" My father replied.

"What are you really expecting us to say sorry to Ethan?!" Dan growled.

"Well yes because how the both of you treated him is completely unfair-"

"But-"

"Don't interrupt me Daniel!" My father said sternly. "Now I know you're going through a tough time Franny," my father said softly as he took my hand in his, "but violence is never the answer sweetheart and you need to find better ways to deal with your difficulties between you and Ethan." I nodded my head and smiled at him reassuringly.

"I know." I muttered quietly.

"On the other hand, Daniel, I am completely disgusted with your behaviour and your attitude towards Ethan who I thought was supposed to be your friend." My father said firmly.

"What?! But you've just you've just let Fran off the hook and now you're having a go at me."

"Don't talk to me like that Daniel." My father shouted. "Now Fran is going through a rough patch and things are difficult for her but you have no excuse what so ever for this sort of behaviour and I am especially disappointed in you because you should be focusing on your grades right now - I mean for Christ's sake son you'll be going to university soon and you cannot go around acting this way." My father said patronisingly.

Dan threw his hands in the air exasperatedly before resting his elbows on his knees and balancing his chin in his balled hands. "This is so unfair." He grumbled.

"Now I suggest you go and make a start on your homework." My father said as he reached for his newspaper, signalling to us that this conversation was over.

Both Dan and I rose from the sofa and I offered him a sympathetic smile as we collected our bags and traipsed upstairs.

"This is so unfair." I heard Dan mumble behind me.

"I'm sorry." I mutter as I reach the top of the stairs and stroll towards my room.

"Don't be."

"But I am though. If it wasn't for me neither of us would be in this mess right now so I'm sorry for that." I said sadly.

"Fran stop apologizing." Dan said as he came over and brought me into a hug. "We all make mistakes." He whispered before letting go of me and walking off to his room.

He was right, we all do make mistakes, except some mistakes are bigger than others and in comparison with Dan's, mine were monumental.