Chapter 8

Two more pots of tea and almost an hour later I had had enough of maths.

"Ok I can't take any more!" I gasped, dropping my pen and flexing my hand to relieve the cramp.

"Well we've been at it for an hour and we've covered a lot so you probably deserve a break. I'll get us some more tea!" He said standing up slowly. I looked at him quizzically.

"What?" He asked. I was about to launch into an explanation about how since we were finished we didn't need more tea but before I could start he chuckled softly whilst shaking his head and then pointed his chin in the direction of the window at the front of the shop. I looked over and saw that it was still pouring with rain. I inwardly groaned.

Raindrops were bouncing along the pavement outside, splashing in and out of puddles. The sky was a charcoal grey colour making it seem darker than it should be at this time of night. I glanced at my watch: 4:30pm. We were in mid January now and the nights were still dark but the light wasn't fading now until about 5:00pm. I glanced around back to Ethan to see him returning with another pot of tea. 

"So..." His voice was inviting. He poured some more tea into my mug and then his own. He sat back down, again his leg feeling even closer to mine now. I cupped my mug into my hand and smiled at him.

"Since we're going to be here a while how about we get to know each other a bit better?" He posed, waggling his eyebrows suggestively. I laughed and shook my head.

"Just kidding, I wouldn't do that... here..." He said, widening his eyes as he glanced exaggeratedly around the room "...again!" My eyebrows shot to my forehead and my mouth fell open.

"You-" he cut me off.

"Just kidding, again. But I'm serious about getting to know you better - wanna play twenty questions or something?" He leant back into his chair causing his thigh to brush against mine. I shivered slightly.

"Uh I hope I don't sound like an utter idiot but what's twenty questions?" My voice came out quite and unsure.

"Well sweetheart," his voice dropped in emphasis at the word sweetheart "It does what it says on the tin. Basically we each take it in turns to ask the other one a question about them and as the game suggests we get twenty questions each." He paused and just looked at me for a second. "You up for it?" He asked, looking at me rather expectantly.

"Yeah why not" I replied over the rim of my mug.

"Cool, I'll go first." He beamed back at me and moved his index finger to his chin, pretending to be deep in thought. "Ok, What colour underwear are you wearing?" His usual, and now predictable smirk gracing his face once again.

"Excuse me?!" My voice going high and squeaky in shock.

"What?!" He asked looking taken back. "There's no rules for what we can and can't ask love." He leant forward, resting his elbow on the table.

"Well I'm not telling you that so you'll just have to pick another question." I replied smugly.

"Ok then..." He leant forward even more so his face was now only a few inches from mine. "What are you thinking right now?" His eyes connected with mine. Oh God! Oh No! What am I supposed to say? I'm thinking about how nervous I am right now. I'm thinking about how close your lips are to mine. I'm thinking about how good you smell right now.

"I'm thinking about how much I would rather run around naked rather than learn maths, ever again." I said, laughing as I felt my cheeks turning red. Shit what's he going to say now? Damn it why couldn't  I have said anything but that?!