Chapter 39

"Is it true?!" Ella asked me excitedly as I sat down in between her and Paige with only ten minutes of lunch left.

"Is what true?" I asked curiously.

"About Dan and Ethan? Did they really have a fight? Did Dan really break Ethan's nose?" Ella asked inquisitively.

"OK first of  all Dan did not break Ethan's nose, he just hit him-"

"So it is true then!" Lilly gasped.

"Yes but I would hardly call it a fight, it was just them arguing and Dan throwing a punch at Ethan." I explained casually.

"Were you there?" Amelia asked.

"Well I'm not sure how long they'd been at it before I got there but yes I was there." I answered.

"And?" Paige asked, dragging out the word 'and'.

"And what?" I asked coolly.

"Oh Fran stop being so vague and just tell us what happened." Ella said imploringly as he grabbed my arm. I rolled my eyes at her impatience and tried to think of where to start.

"Well - um - for this to make sense there is something else I need to tell you first." I said quietly; I looked to Paige for reassurance and she sent me a smile and nodded her head. I took a deep breath and then I began.

"Well I found out the other day, at Darren's party, that Ethan and James had a bet going." I stopped and eyed the others to check that they were still listening to me, to which they were intently. "This - uh - bet they had going started about two months ago, in fact it was actually the first night that me and Ethan met and well a long story short, James bet Ethan that he couldn't get me into bed and Ethan being the arrogant bastard he is agreed." Collectively, with the exception of Paige, the others around me gasped and I could hear several curse words muttered darkly.

"What a dick!" Ella muttered. Amelia reached forwards to place her hand over mine and she offered me a sympathetic smile.

"So I'm guessing you told Dan then?" Lilly asked enquiringly.

"Yeah I did and so today Dan was yelling at Ethan about what he did and Ethan basically told Dan that he shouldn't be involved because he doesn't know anything and they yelled at each other a bit and then Dan hit Ethan." I explained.

"Wow." The others all gasped in unison.

"I never knew that Dan had it in him to do that." Lilly mused.

"Me neither... But - um - there is something else." I mentioned sheepishly.

"What?!" The others asked expectantly.

"I kinda hit Ethan as well." Lilly brought her hand to her mouth, Ella gasped loudly and Amelia and Paige stared at me with open mouths.

"Y-you hit him!" Amelia questioned.

"Yeah." I answered, ashamedly'.

"Well good, I mean the bastard deserved it." Paige spoke up as she brought and arm around me and pulled me into a hug.

"So do you feel better now?" Lilly asked sympathetically.

Did I? Did hitting Ethan really make me feel better.

I shook my head dismally.

 Of course it didn't make me feel better, in fact it made me feel a whole lot worse because now not only am I angry with Ethan, I'm also angry with myself for letting him get to me like that.