Chapter 21

I was sat on the sofa in the living room with Ethan's arm around me, next to me was Dan and on the other sofa was James and Darren.  It was mid March now and it'd been six weeks since Ethan admitted his feelings for me. Things between Ethan and I were still fairly casual however my feelings for him hadn't stopped growing. Did I love him? I don't know.

"So why did you need everyone to keep this Saturday free? Do you have any idea how many people I have had to turn down offers from?" Dan asked James exasperatedly.

"And what offers are these Dan?" I asked audaciously.

"Shut up Fran." Dan grumbled, struggling to stifle a chuckle.

"Ahem if you two are done... We're going Paintballing!" James announced proudly.

"Paintballing?" I asked shocked. "We're seriously going paintballing?"

"Yup!" James replied, popping the 'p' as he spoke.

My mouth was agape and I shook my head in disbelief. "But this is me we're talking about... I'm probably one of the most uncoordinated people ever!" I exclaimed dramatically. "I can't play paintball!"

"That's fine, we'll just push you in the way and use you as a distraction." Darren quipped light-heartedly. I scoffed playfully and threw a cushion at him, he skilfully batted it away with his hand and smirked at me.

"That's if you're even tall enough to play." Dan added cheekily. I glared at him and smacked him humorously on the arm.

At this point I could feel Ethan shaking next to me with laughter; I chuckled softly and shoved him lightly. "Stop... Laughing!" I gasped between giggles.

After a few minutes of uncontrollable laughing, I finally managed to calm down enough to speak. "So how many of us are going?" I asked curiously.

"Well there's you two," James gestured to me and Ethan, "Dan and Carrie, Darren and Paige," as he spoke, James counted us off on his fingers, "and I'm bringing someone so that's eight of us."

Wolf whistles sounded throughout the room and James blushed. "Ooh so who's the lucky lady?" I asked teasingly.

"It's Sarah, the girl you met at that party back in January." He answered sheepishly.

"The blonde one with the nose ring?"

"Yeah." He answered smiling.

"Aw cute." I cooed causing him to scoff and roll his eyes.

"Yeah yeah... So will you play?" He asked.

"Go on then, how bad could it be." I mused lightly.

~

"Here we are." Dan announced as we pulled up into a muddy car park at the edge of a forest. We parked up next to James' car. Dan and I had driven with Carrie and Ethan whilst James had driven Sarah, Paige and Darren.

I looked out of the window and saw Darren and Paige leaning up against James' car kissing. "Excuse me no public displays of affection please!" I yelled loudly as I got out of the car. Darren shot me an annoyed look whilst Paige broke into giggles and a pretty blush grew over her cheeks. I shot her a wink before turning around to get myself a hoodie to pull on. Even though we were in March now the wind still had a bite to it and we were in the shade of the towering trees.

"Right, now that we're all here shall we go." James said, walking up to us with his arm around a very smiley looking Sarah. We all nodded our heads in agreement and walked towards a small wooden hut, sat in between the trees.

We were enveloped by a warmth as we entered the small hut which was just as wooden on the inside as it was on the outside. "Hi there! Welcome to Go Paintballing, do you guys have a booking?" We were greeted by an overly enthusiastic blonde man in his early twenties.

"Yup, It should be under the name Devon, for eight people." James said whilst weaving his way to the front of us.

"Right, so any valuables need to be left in your cars. Overalls and goggles are in there," he gestured over his shoulder with his thumb, " and I'll get you your guns and paintballs. The group you're playing with will be here shortly."

"Great, thanks." James responded politely.

We all made our way into the other room to collect our goggles and overalls. Once we were kitted out with our equipment we stood and waited in the car park for the group we would be playing with.

I looked over my shoulder as I heard the rumble of an engine and saw a large jeep pulling up into the car park. The doors flew open and 5 boys climbed out boisterously; they looked to be just about Dan's age and they all appeared to be very fit and sporty guys.

Our opponents went inside and quickly returned outside with their gear on.

"So I guess we'll be taking you lot on then?" One of the boys smirked as they sauntered up to us.

"Yeah, I'm James." James said confidently as he held his hand out to the other boy.

"Conner." He replied as they shook hands. We all quickly introduced ourselves and then the paintball instructor came over to us to explain the rules.

"So where's the rest of your team?" Dan asked Conner curiously as we headed over to where we'd be playing.

"It's just the five of us." Conner replied. "But if you're worried about uneven teams don't worry, half your team are girls anyway." He commented arrogantly.

"Whoa what the hell is that supposed to mean?" Ethan growled.

"It means that even though you have a three person advantage we can still beat you." One of the boys replied obnoxiously.

I scoffed loudly as their arrogance. "Aw don't worry princess, I'll go gentle on you." Conner said, leering at me.

"You little piece of-" Ethan was cut off as Dan and James dragged him away to our starting position. The boys smirked at us one more time before retreating to their own starting point.

Wow this was going to get interesting