Chapter 37

The three of us sat in silence. Ethan to my left and Dan to my right, we sat on the uncomfortable plastic chairs that lined the wall outside of the headmaster's office as we waited for our fates to be decided.

Next to me Ethan let out a loud sigh in annoyance and I noticed Dan tense next to me out of the corner of my eye. I rolled my eyes at the boy's immaturity and began to scan my eyes over the walls: nothing new, just the same old posters about STDs and exam timetables.

Shuffling could be heard from the other side of the door and I desperately hoped that Mr Marsden, the headmaster, would be out soon as the tension between the three of us was becoming unbearable. I was angry at Ethan for acting so callously and for being so immature about the situation. I was angry at Dan for involving himself in mine and Ethan's problems. I was angry at myself for getting myself into this mess in the first place.

The door to Mr Marsden's office suddenly burst open, causing me to start. Mr Marsden was a broad, tall and intimidating man in his mid forties with leathery tanned skin and brown hair that was showing signs of greying. He stepped through the door way and crossed his arms as he looked over us.

"Right, Mr Watson I'll see you first." Mr Marsden said seriously as he stepped aside and allowed Dan to skulk into his office; he sent Ethan and I a you're next glance before shutting the door behind him as he walked in after Dan.

I moved over to the seat that Dan was in as to distance myself form Ethan; I could still smell the familiar cologne that he always wore but at least now I wasn't close enough to feel the heat radiating off of him.

I wish that things hadn't happened the way they did. I know some people would wish that Ethan hadn't made the bet and things between us had been different but I was far too angry for that; I wish I had never met Ethan Beadle. I hate him. I hate everything about him. I hate the way he's slumped his shoulders as he's sat down in the chair. I hate the way he sighs loudly when he's annoyed or bored. I hate the way his hair is so effortlessly fluffy and soft. I hate the way he purses his lips as he takes interest in something he's reading off of one of the nearby posters. I hate the way his eyes glisten as he looks over at me... oh shit he's looking at me.

I immediately averted my eyes away from him and pretended to be staring intently at the ceiling.

"Fran?" He spoke softly.

I ignored him and stared harder at the ceiling above me.

"Fran?" He said more forcefully this time.

I exhaled in annoyance and tilted my head to the side to look at him.

"I saw you looking at me." He said, his voice wasn't smug or dripping with arrogance as I expected it to be but it was almost sad.

"I wasn't looking at you." I lied.

"Yes you were." He said plainly.

"I was looking at the poster on the wall next to you actually." I bit out.

He turned his head to look over his shoulder and he chuckled lightly. "You were looking at a poster about genital warts?" He said smirking. "Fran is there something you should've told me?" He laughed. The corners of my mouth pulled upwards and I struggled to stifle a small giggle however I quickly suppressed the laughter and straightened my face.

I looked down at my hands in my lap and began to inspect my nails; things went silent between us again and the only sound that could be heard was the ticking of a clock on the wall.

Seconds ticked by and soon they turned to minutes. Time dragged on at a relentlessly slow pace and after what felt like hours - although it had only been about ten minutes - the door to Mr Marsden's office open and Dan sheepishly shuffled out.

"Mr Beadle I'll see you next please." Mr Marsden instructed. Ethan rose from his seat and strolled into the office in an impossibly confident manner.

"So what did he say?" I asked Dan as the door to the office closed.

"Well he asked me to tell him what happened, so I told him and then he just lectured me about appropriate behaviour around school and all that crap." Dan mumbled grumpily.

"So what now?" I asked quietly.

"Well he said he wanted to speak to you and Ethan to get both sides of the story and then he said he'll decided upon our punishments."

"Oh."

"He also said he'd have to call home about this." Dan mumbled ashamedly.

"Dad won't be pleased about that." I commented.

"I know..." Dan sighed.

We sat in silence as we waited.

The minutes passed and suddenly Mr Marsden's voice broke me from my thoughts.

"Miss Watson I'll see you know."