Fifteen

Patrick

"What's this crap I'm reading about you and Emerson breaking up" my sister Erica asks over the phone. She did not sound happy.

"We're in different places in our lives. It's not like we wanted to break up, we're on good terms, we're still friends. She's just in LA and I'm here and there and everywhere" I explain.

"That's not it. I'm still stuck with you as my brother and I never get to see you either" she argues.

"I don't know what to tell you" I argue.

"Tell me whats really happening" she begs.

"Listen, I love her... a lot. More than I told her before she left and more than I can put into words. And I know she feels confused about who we were, I was too. We're about to turn 25 and it's about this time everyone expects you to settle down but neither of us wanted kids or to get married. We just wanted to love each other and that be enough, but sometimes it's not enough to keep people together. She understands me better than anyone, we are so alike in so many ways it's almost like shes a much cooler lady version of myself. I know it doesn't seem like we would be good together but we were great together. We didn't want to separate but we had to, and it still hurts. She was my best friend, we traveled the world and ruled the city together. I miss her" I admit.

"Why don't you go see her" she asks.

"The season starts tonight. When we play in LA I can see her but that's about it" I explain.

"I'm sorry" she apologizes.

"It's okay, I just didn't know who to talk to" I admit.

"Do you still talk to her" she asks.

"Every day" I explain. A smile comes up when I think about getting in bed at night and taking to her on the phone.

"How is she doing" she wonders.

"Great. Just like most things she does" I laugh.

"Well I hope you guys can figure it out. And not because I want a bomb ass sister in law, but because she makes you happy" she says.

"Thanks" I smile.

She lets me go and I talk to my other sisters. They give me the same speech and I laugh. At least I know they still want me to be happy.

I hang up and get ready for the game. I make myself some food and relax and watch some game tape. My phone starts going off again and to my surprise it was Emerson.

"Hey pretty lady" I answer.

"Hey pretty boy" she counters making me laugh.

"What are you up to" I wonder.

"Finally we're over the table reading and getting to the fun part. Now they get to make me look like a total bad ass" she claims.

"You are pretty bad ass" I admit.

"I try to make sure my ass is bad" she claims.

"Did you call me just so we could talk about your ass" I ask.

"Nope. I called to make sure you guys were going to win tonight. All my coworkers are King's fans and I told them my extremely talented and really cute ex-boyfriend slash best friend was gonna make them eat shit and I need to make sure that wasn't a mistake" she claims.

"I mean we're gonna try to win" I insist.

"That's not good enough" she claims.

"How about I get you a goal" I ask.