Forty Four

Patrick

As 2014 comes to a close I find a lot to be thankful for. I have a beautiful home with a beautiful fiancé. My family is all happy and healthy. The team is still on the path to do great things. There wasn't much to complain about. Of course I wish I could have done better in the playoffs and I wish my Grandpa is here. But I can't win the cup every year and my grandpa wasn't going to live forever. I know that what I have right now is more than most people have and a lot more than I would ever ask for. I was going to make sure I was taking the time this New Year's Eve to appreciate what I had.

And since the Blackhawks were ringing in the new year tomorrow in a outdoor game against the Capitals we were up in Washington for the holiday. The hawks rented out the hotel ballroom and decided to throw a little party for the the guys and their families. Since we were all here anyway we might as well. We just can't party too hard because we have a game tomorrow and it still counts for points.

But tomorrow is a whole another day, and year, to worry about. As for tonight, I was going to appreciate the one thing that makes my life so worth living, and that was Emerson.

"Are you about ready" I yell in the direction of the bedroom of the hotel room.

"I'm almost done! I think" she claims and I shake my head.

"You think" I ask.

"Hey, it takes time to get myself pretty" she insists.

"You're literally always perfect" I assure her.

"I'm so happy you can't see my blush" she claims and I smile. The fact that I can still make her blush makes me feel good.

Finally she emerges from the bedroom and like always she took my breath away. She looked killer in a black set and silver accents. Her long brown hair curled and her toned abs out for the world to see.

"So

"So... was it worth the wait" she teases.

"Do I really need to say it" I ask.

"It wouldn't hurt" she smirks.

"Emerson... you are such a sight to behold. Whether you are wearing nothing, wearing sweats, or wearing a dress, you will always be the most stunning thing in my eyes. Because when I look at you I'm not looking at what you're wearing, but rather who is wearing it. And I know that the most beautiful part of you is that smile you have every time you look at me. It's that smile you have when you remember how much you love me and it makes me feel stronger than ever before. So trust me when I say this, Emerson, you look beautiful" I smile. She pulls me into a soft kiss and I can tell she didn't need to hear that but really wanted to.

"I love you so much Patrick" she whispers on my lips and I smile down at her.

"I love you too baby, always" I assure her.

We head down to the ballroom and join our friends. She knew everyone in the organization by first and last name and how long they've been here and everything else. While most have been her longer than her you could never tell it. She fit right and talks to everyone like she's been her for years.

We walk around and say hi to everyone. We dance for a little before I notice something peculiar.

"Hey, have you seen Jonny around" I ask.

"He went out to the patio a while ago but I haven't seen him come back in" Emerson admits.

"I think I'm gonna go check on him" I admit.

"Okay, I'm going to drink some and make fun of Shaw's drunk lisp" she claims and I roll my eyes. She's just as bad as the guys sometimes.

She runs off and I head out to the patio. It was heated out here but still really cool. I find Jonny looking out over the balcony by himself and I stand next to him.

"Are you preparing to freeze your ass off" I ask and he laughs causing his breath to catch the cold air.

"I'm trying to numb myself" he claims and I look at him weird. He never talks like this.

"What do you mean" I ask.

"Everyone in there is with someone they love. Whether it be a girlfriend or a fiancé or a wife. They have someone to keep them warm, but I don't. So I'm turning cold" he claims.

"Jonny, you're 26. You're still young and a bachelor and free" I remind him.

"And I'm alone. I have no one to confide in. No one to take care of, no one who I can trust with my darkest secrets. I don't want to be alone my whole life" he claims.

"You'll find someone. You're a great guy Jon, any girl would be lucky to have you. But you can't force a relationship and it be a healthy one" I insist.

"Not everyone is like you. I can't have my dream girl wake up in bed to me the morning after winning a Stanley cup. I can't fake a relationship only to end up falling in love like some Hollywood movie. Girls like that don't just appear, not even girls half of what Emerson is. And I look around and all the guys have their girl. They look up to me on the ice and in the locker room but on the dance floor and at a romantic dinner for two they look elsewhere because I have no idea what I'm talking about in that department. I don't have someone to help me fall asleep then wake up only to be still dreaming. I want that, but I can't have that" he claims.

"Not if you keep thinking like this you can't. Jonny I'm going to say this one time and one time only. I swear to god if you tell anyone I will actually kill you. But Jonathan, you are probably the most incredible person I've met. My fiancé aside, there is not a single person I think higher of than you. And I act like I don't like you or that I don't care, but I do. Without you there is no me. And there is no one who has done what you've done. You've won gold medals at every level and the cup and mvp and the selke. And guess what? As soon as you step off the ice guys are still listening to you, I know I am. As a person, there are few more intellectual and kind hearted as you. Who can lead like you. But if you're trying to lead someone to you're heart it's not going to work. You can use your brain all you want but if your heart isn't feeling it then it's not gonna happen. As Joel always says, you gotta trust the process" I explain.

"Wow Patrick, that was almost human of you" he teases and I lightly push his shoulder.

"I mean it Jon. I hate seeing you all captain serious. I know that's not you" I insist.

"I know it too. But I don't know how to show other people" he admits.

"The people who need to see it will, I promise" I reply.

A second later the door opens and I see Emerson standing there. Her hair still perfect and her makeup on point.

"Do you mind if I steal my fiancé" she asks Jonny.

"Then who am I supposed to kiss at midnight" Jon jokes and I visibly gag. That's nasty.

"Shaw was kissing the back of Chauns head earlier so I'm sure he's up to it" she assures him.

"Go get her" he smiles up to me.

"Are you sure" I ask.

"Yeah, I'll be fine" he assures me. "Oh, and Patrick" he starts as I walk away. "Thank you" he smile and I nod.

"Any time" I insist.

Emerson pulls me to the floor where there was a count down on the wall. Finally the clock strikes zero and I plant a big kiss on Emerson's lips. She pulls away and her red lips show off a beautiful smile.

"Happy new year" she says.

"Happy new year Emmy."