Twenty Two

Patrick

After Emerson gets settled back in and things calm down we decide to have a date night. Now, we weren't like most new couples. We already know most of what there is to know about each other. I know her favorite music and about her family and all the other good stuff. So this first date isn't going to be like most first dates, I don't think any of that is good enough for her anyway.

Since it was December in Chicago I decided to have the whole Christmas movie date. Go see the lights and eat outside but where it's still warm. Some ice skating in the park and hot chocolate on the pier. Basically, tonight was going to be really fun.

I arrive at her door at 6 pm sharp and knock. I hear heels coming to the door and smile big. She opens it and naturally Princess was right beside her. I look her up and down and smile big.

"Can you tell Princess she can't come on our date" she laughs and I pick her up

"Can you tell Princess she can't come on our date" she laughs and I pick her up. She starts licking my face and I laugh. "Watch it dog, that man is mine" she jokes petting her head.

"Alright. You got your kisses, down you go" I say setting her down. She runs back inside and I latch my fingers around Emerson's. "Ready to go" I ask.

"Ready" she smiles. I pull her into a kiss and find myself taking this moment in, for I never want to forget it.

The first place we go to is the park. All the trees had lights in them and there was snow on the ground. We walk hand in hand throughout the park just talking about everything. We share our favorite Christmas memories and I find myself being thankful that this all worked out. I felt like I was in a sappy Christmas movie after all.

"Man, this bean never ceases to amaze me" she sighs as we stand in front of it.

"It's pretty impressive considering it's just a gigantic chrome bean" I laugh.

"Yeah, but I think it's more than that. It's a reflection of this city, how beautiful it is and how strong it is. It's called the city of broad shoulders for a reason. The same reason that keeps me coming back every time. There's something here I haven't found anywhere else. I've been around the world and I haven't been anywhere like here" she claims.

"And I don't want to be anywhere without you... ever again" I claim pulling her into my side.

"You kinda missed me huh" she teases as we walk around.

"You know how they say that you never realize what you have until it's gone" I ask.

"Yeah" she nods.

"I think that couldn't be more true. Even though you were never mine in the first place I feel like a I lost you. I would go through old articles about us, from when we went to Paris to the parade when we first went out in public together. Nothing about that relationship was fake to me. It was more real than any relationship I've ever been in. I don't know... you're someone that somebody misses. You're seriously the coolest person ever and I feel honored that after all this you still want to be with me" I admit.