Thirty Six

Patrick

I roll over in bed and let out a groan. I was about to head to training camp for the Hawks but there was a slight issue. I somehow got sick, like really sick, and couldn't kick this thing in the ass. The team doctor said it was a virus so there's nothing he could give to help me so I was left to suffer. Just told to sleep it off but that wasn't really working.

Emerson rolls over in bed and I start to pout. I really didn't want her to get sick but she wouldn't leave me because she wanted to help take care of me. I left her asleep in the living room last night hoping she'll sleep on the couch and I could sleep in the chair down there but somehow we both ended up in bed. I'm not sure how but I sure wasn't going to question it.

"Am I dead yet" I mumble and she giggles.

"Nope" she assures me. I open my eyes and see her looking as beautiful as ever with a messy bun on top of her head and no make up on. You can see her light freckles complimented by her green eyes as she somehow makes me feel a little better.

"I think I died and went to heaven because I'm looking at a angel" I insist.

"Good god. Being sick has made you cheesy" she teases.

"Come here" I insist and she scooches closer. My muscles hurt but nothing made me feel better than holding her tight. I wrap her in my arms and she slips a thermometer in my mouth. A minute later it beeps and she takes it out.

"100.3" she sighs.

"Hey, that's better than yesterday" I try.

"A fever is a fever Patrick. Until it breaks you're still considered very sick" she informs me.

"Well how do I get rid of it" I ask.

"Sleep and hydration are important" she claims.

"I just woke up though" I grunt.

"Then drink some hot tea and relax" she suggests.

"Bring me some please" I ask sticking out my bottom lip.

"Of course baby" she smiles.

She gets up and suddenly I didn't want a drink anymore. Because as soon as she left my embrace I started to feel ill again. She always makes me feel better and for the few minutes she gone I missed her so much.

She comes back with hot tea and a cool towel and some muscle rub. I take the drink and she places the towel on my forehead. She wedges herself between me and he headboard as she starts to massage my muscles.

"I'm sorry you have to spend the last few free days in Chicago with me in bed" I say.

"Don't be sorry. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than helping you right now" she insists.

"Still. I'm about to leave then you're about to leave, this is no way to spend our free time" I insist.

"Look at me" she demands and I turn around to look into her eyes. "I love you Patrick, for better or for worse. And it sucks your sick but we're connected. If you're hurting then I am too. I want you to get better because I can go to brunch with my friends but I wouldn't have any fun because I know you're back here not feeling well. I don't care if I get sick, as far as I'm concerned I'm sick without you so I might as well be sick with you. Got it" she asks and I smile. I place a soft kiss on her lips and her cool ones on my warm ones felt pretty great.

I end up falling asleep not too much later after that. Once I wake up I take a shower and decide that I should probably leave the room.

I get downstairs and find Emerson at the laptop. She was making the save the dates and through the fever I could see how nice they were.

"Those are great baby" I say standing next to her.

"Thanks. You don't think it's too much" she asks.

"No. It's perfect" I admit and she smiles.

"Well then I guess we should send these bad boys off" she says.

"Let's do it" I agree.

She sends a copy through the email then physically too. Now we have to wait for responses and this wedding was well under way.

We go to the couch and cuddle up by the fireplace. I was a bit cold so she pulls a blanket over us.

"You know, my parents are really excited for the wedding" she says.

"That's good. How are they doing" I ask and she shrugs.

"Good I guess. My dad is still taking care of my mom but he's scared that one day she won't remember him and freak out" she explains.

"That would be pretty scary, to not remember things" I admit.

"I couldn't imagine it. I have so many great memories, and while I don't remember them all, I know they're there. I don't know what I would do without my memories. Especially if I forgot about you" she admits.

"I don't think I would ever forget you" I admit.

"I don't really think it's up to you" she claims.

"It's not. But falling in love with you wasn't in my plans either. I think that some things just have to happen a certain way, and if there's ever a time I cannot remember things I know I will always remember you. I will remember the way you make me feel after a rough game. I will remember how you are always smiling even if we're just sitting around. I will always hear your voice in my head telling me that you love me. I won't remember everything, but I could never forget you either" I admit.

"Isn't it amazing. To have something that is more powerful than any disease or problem" she asks.

"And what would that be" I ask.

"True love" she smiles. Her fingers get tangled in my shirt and she rests her head on my chest.

"Are you feeling any better" she wonders.

"A little" I admit.

"Do you need anything" she questions.

"All I need is right here" I say squeezing her.