Thirty Four

Patrick

For the first time this summer Emerson and I were finally at home at able to relax. It was a crazy few weeks with the playoffs then spending time in Jamaica and being in LA for a little. It was nice to be home and relax for once. We didn't have anywhere to be for a while and it was kinda nice. We can just hang out or swim all day, just her and I. We could finally sit down and talk about the wedding and brainstorm some ideas. Like everything with her, it was pretty easy to figure it out. She had amazing ideas and support to back herself up. Plus she was open to any and all ideas which is one of the million of reasons why I loved her. It made me so excited to get married because then it'll always be like this, but then I get to call her my wife instead of my fiancé.

Early one August morning I find Emerson at the island in the kitchen on her laptop clicking away. It was pretty early for us but she was always awake before me.

"What are you doing" I wonder as I rub her shoulders softly. She gives me a little smile before turning back to her computer.

"You know that old abandoned two story gym down the street from Johnny's Ice House" she asks.

"Yeah, I've been past it a hundred times, but that place hasn't been used in years" I remember.

"I want to buy it" she claims.

I raise my eyebrow as she turns from the computer to me. I stop rubbing her shoulders and start to rub her legs that sat on the stool. I loved the feeling of her skin on mine.

"Why do you want a old abandoned gym" I ask.

"You know how I always complain that people like me don't use their power for good. How if I'm in a position to help I should" she asks.

"Yeah" I nod.

"Well this is my way of helping. Chicago is my city, it's my home, there's no reason for me not to help out around here. It's no secret that there's a problem here and it breaks my heart thinking about all those kids who could end up in a gang or on the wrong side of a gun. These kids are our future, without them we don't have one. I want to find a way to get them off the streets and into something positive. Build a better Chicago from the ground up.

I want to turn the old gym into a new one. Maybe we can even put in a ice rink and basketball court. There can be a place to throw some footballs and get a few swings in for golf or baseball. The kids can play with their old friends or make new friends, be active while staying off the streets. I want it to be a place where a kid can be a kid. Maybe they can't go home because it's not safe or maybe they just want to find themselves and they can't when they're going from home to home. I want to give these kids a opportunity to make good choices and not just survive, but thrive. Maybe have some cooking classes for some kids who's father has walked out and they have to help his mom watch after their brothers and sisters. I want to have tutors for the kid in class who gets called stupid not because of what they know but what they don't know. I want to give that kid who had their art program shut down a chance to express themselves. I want to make a place where kids have a opportunity to make something of themselves. Privileged people are handed opportunities and constantly shut them down while the less fortunate spends every last wish hoping for a break like the ones handed to the more fortunate.

This place can be somewhere they feel at home when they know they can't go to their home. It would be where they are free to be themselves and make some good choices. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the wrong crowd. Especially out here. With this place they can not only learn about school or chores, but how to survive with what you are handed no matter how good or how bad. Plus it can give jobs to people who need it" she explains.

"Wow, that's actually a really really amazing idea. I love it" I admit and she smiles.

"It doesn't sound crazy" she asks.

"Not at all. I would love to go to the ice rink and help out when I can. Maybe teach some kids some skills or just be a good listening ear when needed" I shrug.

"Really" she gasps.

"Of course. I want to support you and help you out in any way possible. One day soon I'll be your husband and we will go to that gym and walk around and see all the kids we've helped be better people. There is nothing in life that I want more than that. Because I'm not going to play forever. People are going to break any records I set and there will be a new Stanley cup champion crowned every year. But this place, it'll last forever. It's something I think is bigger than hockey, I love it" I explain.

"Awesome. I was going to call later to talk to them about purchasing it" she explains.

"What are you gonna call it" I wonder.

"I don't know. Do you have any ideas" she asks.

"How about Chicago Knights? It sounds like Chicago heights but with your last name" I suggest.

"I love it, but this time next year my last name won't be knight" she remembers.

"Well it looks like we can't get married now" I claim and she laughs. "I honestly didn't know if you would take my last name" I admit.

"What? Why wouldn't I" she asks.

"Most famous people don't. Your name is important in Hollywood, it's how you're known. It's your brand. I kinda figured you would keep that same name that you've done all this with" I explain.

"I'm not complacent with what I've done as a Knight, that's nothing compared to what I want to do as a Kane" she insists and I smile.

"Okay then, future Mrs. Kane slash business owner, what's your next move" I ask.

"We are going to build a future together" she smiles.