Thirty

Emerson

Since the playoffs were under way Patrick's family was in town and staying with us. I had plenty of room for everyone at the house and it was free. It doesn't matter how much money you have, you don't turn down free stuff.

Plus it gave me time to chill out with Patrick's sisters which is always a good time. He doesn't like it because he claims they hog me and are embarrassing but I honestly love them.

"How are your parents doing" Donna asks one morning as she helps me make everyone breakfast.

"Pretty good. My dad is enjoying the retired life. He worked so hard for me and I promised myself that as soon as I had enough money he was going to retire and do things for him for once. That of course was until my mom got sick. But he likes chilling all day with her, he actually loves it. If she forgets something he wants to tell stories and she wants to hear them. She never forgets him, it's kinda sweet" I admit.

"I'm sorry to hear about your mom. She's so young for that terrible disease to be taking over her mind, it breaks my heart" she sighs.

"It sucks, that's for sure. But she's such an amazing soul she fights it with every ounce she has. She never stops asking questions, whether she remembers or not. She such a strong woman I don't doubt for a second that she can't get through this. Everything happens for a reason and as shitty as this is, there are some positives. She'll watch a movie and forget I'm in it and freak out, it's the cutest thing ever. She'll call me and tell me she's proud of me and I never get tired of that. Or she'll call me and ask if I'm ever going to find a nice guy. Then I get to tell her about Patrick and I and it always puts a smile on both of our faces" I admit.

"That's so sweet" she says softly.

"It's not ideal, but I wouldn't change a thing about her" I admit.

We get breakfast made and everyone up. Naturally the last person to come strolling out of bed is Patrick with his hair a mess. Just the way I like it.

"Good morning everyone" he mumbles going straight to the coffee.

"Good morning prick" Erica chirps and he holds up a kind middle finger. He pours himself a cup of coffee before sitting next to me at the island. He wraps his arm around me and I rest my head on his shoulder.

"Ugh you guys are so cute" Jessica sighs.

"And why is that a problem" I ask.

"Admitting my brother is cute is always a problem" she claims.

"Wow. Not even a cup of coffee into the day and I've already been insulted twice" he mumbles. I place a soft kiss on his lips and he smiles. "That's better."

After breaking up a fight between Patrick and Jessica we all get changed and ready for the day. The Hawks has already ousted the Blues in seven games and we're about to close out the wild. There was not practice today because the post season was already hard enough giving us time to roam free.

Patrick's sisters and I meet my friend Natalie for a shopping day while Patrick insisted he took off wherever with his parents. I didn't have enough time to dig into that because I needed to know where to start at.

We hit Michigan Avenue and walk through the stores there. I wasn't really looking to buy anything, if I found something I liked I'll pick it up but I was pretty much just hanging out.

Natalie got along with everyone pretty well but really got along with Jaqueline. They kinda looked related and they both were super funny. It was nice to see them get along and have a group of girls I can just be myself around.

"So who's your best famous friend" Erica asks me as we find some clothes to try on.

"I don't know. I'm pretty good friends with most people I meet, I love everyone so much. But Anna Kendrick is someone I'm very close with. Even after pitch perfect we did some shows together and we hosted the American Music Awards together. She's a great person and seriously so funny. But I would say my best friend, besides Nicole of course, is either Leonardo DiCaprio or recently it's been Ariana Grande" I shrug.

"Really, Leonardo" Erica asks.

"Yeah. He might be a lot older than me but I had to play a mature role in that movie and I produced it to. He showed me nothing but the upmost respect and had faith in my producing. He never gave me a hard time and was a phenomenal actor. I loved working with him then going back to the dressing room and eating pizza and playing card games. He's a cool dude once you get to know him. And his wife is amazing, she took me under her wing and studied the book. She's brilliant really. I have nothing but amazing things to say about them" I insist.

"And how do I get to have a life where my best friends are America's sweetheart and favorite actor" Jaqueline asks.

"Don't listen to anybody" I say and they laugh.

"She's being so serious" Natalie informs them.

"As cliche and admittedly stupid as it sounds, the phrase "stay true to your heart" is my number one rule. If you feel like you're not right for a part even though it's a good part do not take it. You will be uncomfortable and way in over your head. No amount of fame or fortune can raise you high enough to get you out of the hold you get yourself in. You have to stay true to yourself, no one knows you better than you do and don't let them make you think any different. It's not easy to make friends in this business. But the biggest mistake is to lead these people to believe that you're someone you're not. They'll figure you out and they won't be happy when they do. It's easier to be yourself and let some of the people dislike you and the real people find their ways to you" I explain.

"Okay, when you explained it it sounded simple" Erica laughs.

"Life can be simple if you make it. Love what you do and who you do it with" I insist.

"Is that why you do everything with my brother" Jessica asks.

"I do everything with Patrick because he can make every moment in my life worth remembering. I don't want to look back at the most important times of my life and see that I'm alone. That I have no one to love and no one to love me. I know my relationships haven't exactly been the most stable thing in my life, but now it is. I know that no matter what happens he will love me, and that's a great feeling. To have someone cheering me along and to have someone so easy to cheer for. I want so bad to see him to do good. He deserves nothing but the best honestly. He works so hard and so often, I wish people saw the side of him I do. But privacy is a virtue with this relationship, so I don't mind keeping the good parts to myself" I claim.

"God, you make Patrick sound so much better than he actually is" Jessica teases.

"He's not that bad" I laugh.

"He's not. But he's our brother, if he's got you then he needs something to keep him from floating in the clouds" she claims.

"Yeah, we do day dream quite a bit. But I love the view from up here" I shrug.

"Well I'm glad that you think so fondly of our brother. Because it's easy to see a persons mistakes, it takes a real special person to see the good in people" Erica claims.

"Patrick has been more than good. He's been amazing and he gives me people like you guys and your parents to be around and talk to. Obviously I'm doing something right."