Five: Wound

"So you were going to Kitagawa Daiichi...", Oikawa accosted the girl who was walking beside him.

[Name] jolted, visibly surprised by the subject brought up by the boy.

"Y-Yeah...", she replied slowly.

"Why didn't you tell me?", the boy asked and pouted. "Did you really not recognize me?"

[Name] winced before answering.

"I did. But you didn't remember me so I saw no point in telling you", she explained.

"Well, I had a feeling that I knew you", Oikawa protested. "It's just that you acted so indifferent about me that I was sure that I mistook you for someone else..."

The girl sighed.

"And even if I told you that I know you, what would it change? There are plenty of girls surrounding you, why would you care about me?", she said. "Well, that's what I thought, but the fact that you are here with me must mean that you have a reason to do this", she added warily.

Oikawa looked at her, confused.

"What reason?", he asked.

"Nobody is so nice to other person without a motive, right?", [Name] explained as if what she was saying was obvious.

"Then why are you nice to me?", Oikawa riposted.

"Am I? I just let you go with me", the girl said, surprised.

"But normally you wouldn't let anyone get close to you, right?", he asked.

[Name]'s face became gloomy.

"You've got the point here. As I said, I did it because I'm miserable. And I don't learn from my mistakes", Oikawa raised an eyebrow, wondering what were those 'mistakes' she was talking about, but he let her continue. "And I guess I needed it. Someone to talk to", she said and peeked at the boy.

"We can talk like this everyday if you want", Oikawa suggested with a smile. "I can-", he wanted to say something but [Name] interrupted him.

"Um... Oikawa-san, I don't think it's a good idea", she said confidently, but Oikawa could see that her expression wasn't matching her words. While rejecting the proposition, her eyes were full of sorrow.

The boy stopped walking and so did [Name].

"[Name]-chan, I want to know why you are bewaring others. I can see that you want to let somebody in, and yet, you don't give yourself a chance. Why?", he asked, his voice louder and more confident that before.

Even though she was clearly confronting the boy, [Name] didn't display any marks of anxiety which she would normally show while talking so openly with others. Her eyes were empty, her face indifferent, only her hands were showing some emotions. She clenched her fists as if preparing to defend herself.

"Because I know that if I get attached to you, if I trust you... I would end up hurt", she said, her voice breaking down.

"[Name]...", Oikawa whispered, surprised by the girl's words.

"People say that everybody is different", [Name] continued, "but that's bunk!", her voice started shaking, her eyes watered. "Everybody is the same! Everybody thinks only about himself. I'm the same... I also think only about myself", at this point, the tears started flowing from her eyes uncontrollably. "That's why I chose to stay away from others who can only hurt".

Oikawa widened his eyes, speechless. He would never expect that his question would lead [Name] to such a state. He quickly walked up to the trembling girl and, without any word, he embraced her. To his surprise, she didn't move back. Instead, she put her head on his chest, trying to calm down.

"[Name], I will never hurt you", he said. "So please let me in".

There was just one small thing the boy seemed to forget.

The bet.