Forty: Explosion

Oikawa widened his eyes. His gaze automatically drifted to the girl standing silently in the exit gates. Shizuku? The girl who used to be [Name]'s best friend? What was she doing here?

His eyes wandered towards the girl standing beside him.

To his surprise, [Name] was no longer shaking. She was breathing steadily, her muscles seemed to have relaxed. This kind of reaction sent chills down Oikawa's spine.

It would be normal for her to be nervous, to feel sorrow, or even cry. He wouldn't be surprised if she wanted to take another exit route. But it didn't happen. Instead, it seemed that all life energy had suddenly washed away from the figure beside him. He couldn't see her eyes, but the boy was sure that the usual spark they held had also disappeared. Suddenly, a distant, yet clearly audible voice clashed right beside his arm.

"We should go, Oikawa-san".

Before he could reply, he felt the edge of his jacket's sleeve being gripped. He followed the girl silently towards the exit gates where Shizuku was standing.

"[Name]...", he whispered but his imploring words were ignored.

The girl standing in the exit gates moved restlessly just when they passed by her silently.

"[Name]!", she exclaimed loudly, but unsurely

[Name] jigged as if a lightning stroke her body. She stopped walking and so did Oikawa.

"Shizuku", she whispered as she slowly turned towards the intruder.

The black haired girl put on an awry smile. It was probably meant to look natural, but her nervousness took control over her expressions.

Indeed, she was nervous, which meant that coming here to talk to [Name] wasn't easy for her, yet she did it. What could have been the reason?

Oikawa stayed behind not to disturb. He was worrying about [Name]'s state but he decided to let things unroll and then eventually intervene.

"So it's really you, [Name]. We haven't seen each other for ages. You're as pretty as always", Shizuku let out a stream of compliments, but [Name] remained unmoved.

Keeping her emotionless face, she took a step back.

"What do you want?", she asked shortly. Her sole stance seemed to be saying 'I don't believe anything that comes out from your mouth'. It was the first time when Oikawa saw the girl this harsh towards someone.

Shizuku sighed and, once again, smiled. This time the smile was more natural. It wasn't cheerful nor happy, it was simply shamefaced. It looked as if she was expecting this kind of reaction.

"[Name], can we talk?", she said calmly, taking a step towards the girl.

[Name] moved back. She seemed to be on the verge of bursting into rage. She started shivering uncontrollably, finally revealing her hidden emotions. Anxiety, sorrow, grudge. It all bobbed up and took a form of tears which started flowing from her eyes.

"There's nothing to talk about!", she replied. "I don't want to have anything in common with you! Do you know how much struggle I've gone through because of you?! For all these years I couldn't trust anyone and even now I'm afraid of getting close to others!", she shouted on one breath.

Oikawa wanted to do something but his feet seemed to have frozen to the ground. Seeing [Name] like this made his heart clench but at the same time getting to know this side of her was fascinating.

"[Name]-", Shizuku wanted to say something but it was too late. The girl already dashed off down the road behind her, leaving no place for reply.

Oikawa walked up to Shizuku and whispered a couple of words to her ear.

Without looking back, he chased after [Name].