Twenty Eight: Away

The morning practice was over and Oikawa was already walking down the crowded hallway, freshly changed into his school uniform. Passing by his friends, he was making his way towards [Name]'s classroom. Even though he was trying to maintain his usual cheerful expression, a little spark of anxiety could still be seen in his eyes. Was it due to the newly discovered feelings or to the decision he's made yesterday - his heart was acting restless at the vision of seeing the girl. But he knew there was no turning back.

Unconsciously, he was slowing down his steps. But as soon as he realised it, he scolded himself innerly.

This is just a normal morning conversation, nothing has changed, he thought to himself.

He didn't even have to go into the girl's classroom to meet her. Just when he turned round the corner, her fragile silhouette appeared before his eyes. She looked amazing, as always. She didn't seem to notice the boy, because her pace didn't slow down. She was heading towards the entrance of the classroom when Oikawa's voice stopped her.

"[Name]-chan!", the chocolate haired boy ran up to her, putting on the most convincing smile he had.

To his surprise, the girl didn't look happy to see him. Even though she was visibly trying to hide it, a small shiver went down her spine. When looking up at him, she pouted, and after catching an eye contact, she immediately lowered her head.

"Hello, Oikawa-san", she greeted him grimly, avoiding his inquiring look.

Oikawa raised his eyebrow.

"Is something wrong?", he asked warily.

"Everything is fine", [Name] replied with an awry smile.

He wanted to inquire further but knowing the girl, it wasn't the best idea.

"You know, I was wondering whether you'd like to go somewhere after today's practice", he said instead.

The girl gritted her teeth.

"I'm sorry. I-I have something to do today", she answered without looking up at the surprised boy.

Not waiting for the response, she turned around and stepped inside the classroom.

"Agh!", Oikawa groaned impatiently and turned onto his back, pressing Iwaizumi's pillow harder to his chest. "I don't get it!"

"You're repeating yourself, Shittykawa", his friend, who was sitting with his back towards the bed where Oikawa was lying, said with a weary voice.

"Iwa-chan, you're so insensitive", the chocolate haired boy pouted, turning his head towards Iwaizumi. "I'm experiencing a heartbreak here".

"You really don't know what a heartbreak is", his friend sighed, finally looking back at Oikawa.

"I mean, what could she possibly have to do in the weekday's evening?", Oikawa continued his monologue.

"I don't know - a test? Lots of homework?", Iwaizumi replied. Suddenly, his expression changed into more of a sly one. "Or maybe she just got bored of you?"

"Waaah!", the boy squawked. "Impossible!"

"Or maybe she found out about the bet?", his friend added, this time more seriously.

A silence followed.

When Oikawa spoke up, his voice was gloomy.

"I don't think so. And about the bet - that's what I was trying to say from the start, I was planning to tell her everything today".

Iwaizumi widened his eyes.

"What a clever idea - how unusual of you", he said with clear awe, which pissed off his friend even more.

"My ideas are always amazing!", Oikawa snapped back in irritation.

"Yeah, whatever", Iwaizumi replied.

"But now she seems to be avoiding me", the boy pouted.

"Maybe it's for the best", Iwaizumi said quietly.