A life of crime

Waking up in the warmth of Edward's arms was enough to make a small smile appear on Mrs Lovett's tired features as she began to stir. It made a lovely change from waking up alone to a cold bed knowing no one had been holding her close all night. This was the second time he had stayed over and she was beginning to like having him around all the time.

Edward slowly blinked opened his eyes becoming accustomed to the early hours of the morning sunlight. He tilted his head a little in Mrs Lovett's direction to see her happily nuzzling her face closer into the crook of his warm neck. "Morning" his raspy voice and smile made her smile back at him before pressing a kiss to his neck.

"Where did you run off to last night" he yawned turning his head fully this time whilst pushing her away from him ever so gently to look into her warm chocolate eyes. Her hair seemed a little damp and her eyes very tired, so for that he could only frown at her. Just what had she been up too night...

Mrs Lovett pouted her lips awkwardly as she tired to come up with a quick excuse. She couldn't very well tell him that her and Mr Todd had been dragging a dead man's body through the streets of London now could she.

"I.. well urm.. Mista T ad' stupidly cut e'm self on his razor, there was blood everywhere dear just needed to elp' him clean e'm self up a little...." mentally she rolled her eyes at herself and her sorry idea of an excuse. She made the barber sound like a child for heavens sake!

"Can't he manage on his own?" exactly Nellie... Mrs Lovett thought as she awkwardly cleared her throat.

"Ya know how much he depends on me love, that man can't do nothin' for e'mself" she mocked trying to cover up the worry in her eyes that her story wasn't all that believable. But by the sort of understanding looks given by Edward lying beside her it seemed he did believe her. Why wouldn't he? she wouldn't she lie? right?

"I don't like that man" He grumbled removing his arm slowly from around Nellie and lifting himself from the bed. She frowned as she watched him threading his belt buckle around his trousers and looked awkwardly down to her bed sheets as if she didn't know how to respond to him.

"I mean does he pay rent?" Edward asked this time placing on his white shirt.

Mrs Lovett pouted again and looked at him. "He just needed somewhere to stay love, the man has lost his family.." she defended tracing her fingers over the pattern on her bed sheets knowing full well he really should start paying her.

"Sweetheart he's been living here months now, he's taking advantage of you" he continued to explain whilst tucking his shirt into his trousers. Nellie scoffed at this mentally adding 'Too right he does'... She sighed and looked back towards Edward not really knowing what to say. Sure Sweeney should be paying her rent but then he supply's her meat and therefore that is his payment in a way.

"I'll have a word with him" her eyes widened at this and she jumped from the bed in fear.

"No! Don't" she cried making him frown deeply at her.

"Nellie it's alright" he chuckled placing his hands either side of her arms and pressing a sweet kiss to her forehead. Watching through worried eyes as he left the room to her parlour she saw him halt in the pie shop and heard him greet Sweeney with a 'good morning'.

He was downstairs! "Shit!" she cursed under her breath as she ran after Edward not caring that she was not dressed and was still only in her corset and bloomers.

Heading into the parlour she noticed Sweeney sipping at what looked to be a cup of tea from behind her counter. She gulped nervously when his eyes fell on her and that evil smirk fell across his face again when he saw her yet again in nothing but her underwear.