The Past

It had been been over two hours now in the carriage. The ride had been a quite one, Nellie was still holding Toby as he slept on her lap with her fingers gently running through his hair. She of course had to explain the incident with the guard, he was pretty shaken after seeing her kill another human being but after all she was here with them and got away and that's what mattered.

Looking up she saw Sweeney looking at her from the opposite side of the carriage. He looked tired yet what made her smile a little was seeing the love in his eyes. He was certainly a change man and after everything it was her that melted the icy exterior he had up for so long.

They hadn't spoken since him surprising her earlier and as of now she wanted his warmth more then ever.

Gently lifting Toby she carefully stood and placed him slowly on the chair for him to continue sleeping. She then moved to the opposite side of the carriage to join Sweeney.

He welcomed her beside him by wrapping one arm around her shoulders while pressing a kiss to her forehead. "Thank god I have you back" he whispered by her ear his words making her smile inwardly. Placing her hand on his chest she tilted her head up to kiss him. A sweet soft kiss that showed her love and gratitude towards him. Pulling away she then placed her head between his neck and shoulder. "Where are we goin' love?" She whispered.

"Somewhere where no one will bother us again" she frowned at this yet couldn't help the small tug of a smile gracing her lips "I'm intrigued" she chuckled.

"It's a surprise"

"Surprise? That doesn't sound like you..." she smirked lifting her head again to look at him.

"You will see soon pet"

She smiled again at this not knowing what he was up to and settled for resting her head back against his shoulder. She felt so tired, she could so easily just shut her eyes and drift off to sleep in his arms yet she didn't want to. She was worried if she closed her eyes again that they would be separated just like the last time she gave into her tiredness....

"Nellie.." his soft tone had brought her from her trance.

"Yes love"

Sweeney reached into his pocket and pulled out the letter he had so many questions about. "Why did you never give me this pet?" He said handing it to her to which she frowned and looked at the piece of paper, still resting her head against his shoulder as she read her old love letter.

Remembering it all now Nellie pulled herself up straight and read the letter till it's end intently. He watched her as she read and saw that she remembered it very well.

"Didn't think you would ever see this, I hid it away because it was the closet thing I had of ever sharing my feelings..." she explained looking at him.

"Why did I never get to read it?" He asked reaching his hand out to hold hers.

"Because you were happy" she whispered sadly staring off sadly remembering that day all to clearly.....

A young Eleanore Lovett sat alone anxiously in one of her booths at the pie shop. She was waiting for Mr Barker who had promised he would have a drink with her tonight to cheer her up. She had had the worst week of her life, bad customers, her husband yelling at her, her mother passing away and mountains of bills to pay. She had broken down one day in her shop after Albert had yelled at her for something stupid like usual. However she hadn't realised Mr Barker from upstairs had seen her crying.

He had come in and had asked her what was wrong. They had gotten rather close over the last few months of him moving in with his wife and had been good to her as well. She really had fallen head over heels for the barber. He was so innocent and kind and had the most handsome smile in all of fleets street. As soon as he had seen her crying he had rushed in to hold her like the good friend he was and after telling him what was wrong he had set a date in which he would come down and let her confide in him.

He was the only friend she had, not that he might have considered them friends but she certainly loved having him around. He was the only person to ever make her smile and feel comfortable in herself.

Of course she cared for Lucy too. She was a lovely lady with a kind heart, a woman who could do no wrong. But Nellie just couldn't hold in these feelings anymore she had for Benjamin. She had to tell him how she felt... through a letter...

It was past 9 now in the evening and it was getting rather dark outside. She wondered if Mr Barker had forgotten that he was suppose to meet her tonight in her shop. She wondered if he would turn up at all.

She held the letter nervously in her hands re- reading it over and over. Suddenly the side door opened and she jumped stuffing the letter down her front and smiling at him.

"You came" she smiled seeing he too was in very good spirits. In fact he looked as if he was the happiness man on the planet...

"Ya awfully cheery dear" she said as he walked over and joined her in the booth. Oh he was so handsome. His hair was so dark and his brown eyes so warm and sweet. She just wanted to kiss him, she had dreamed about his lips and how they might feel...maybe tonight she would finally find out just how soft they really were.

"I- ave..." she began pulling out the letter from her front nervously. She just wanted to get it over with. She needed him to know...

Grabbing her arms suddenly Nellie froze at his touch and his grip and looked at him seeing him about to explode with news. "I have something to tell you" He said making her heart flutter in hope. Maybe he felt the same?

"Yes?" She whispered hopefully looking into those gorgeous eyes of his. She could get lost in his brown orbs if she looked long enough. She just wanted him to kiss her, she had never craved for anything more in her life then to have him kissing her.

Smiling like a Cheshire Cat Benjamin exploded with his wonderful news. "I'm going to be a father"

As if struck down by lightening Mrs Lovett felt herself snapping from her trace and falling in what felt like a black hole. She was in shock, her heart never ached so much like it did now. She was staring off in confusion and felt her eyes twinkling with fresh tears.

"Mrs Lovett" he muttered shocked at her reaction seeing her all teary eyed.

Snapping back again to the present Nellie faked a smile and wiped her tears. "That's wonderful news, I'm so appy for ya both" she lied to which he smiled again and hugged her. She closed her eyes saddened by the news and hurt that she was hugging the very man she would take a bullet for.

Pulling away Benjamin looked at the letter in her hands. "Sorry" he smiled shaking his head at himself for cutting her off. "You were going to show me something"

Gulping Nellie shook her head and folded the letter away. "T'was nothin' love" she said stuffing it back between her breasts and looking back at him.

"Shall we open up a bottle?" She continued to smile although it felt as if she was breaking inside.

"Sure!"

Turning back to look at Sweeney she saw the guilt in his eyes after hearing her story. She gave him a small smile and cuddled back against him. "I couldn't tell ya, an I couldn't throw the letter away as it was all I had"

"Maybe if I knew.." he mumbled making her shake her head and smile.

"What you'd break with Lucy and marry me instead, oh darlin' you loved her and I'm glad I never did come between you....I have you now and so whatever happened then means nothing now" she smiled feeling him kiss her forehead.

"I love you Eleanore"

She looked up at him her heart warm and fuzzy hearing him utter those words to her again. She looked at him and smiled as he kissed her softly on the lips.

"I love you more"

A/N: hi Guys sorry it's been a while! Been so busy, hope you liked the chapter there will only be one more after this and then this story will be finished I'm afraid. But I hope you have enjoyed reading❤️