The Better Man

Stewing in his own anger Sweeney Todd sat perched on the end of his deadly barber chair. His eyes examined the precious silver he held in his hands, as if he was contemplating whether to leave the shop and start a mass murder of every filthy man he came across on his way. He hated men! hated all that they stood for. Today he had witnessed enough vermin to last him the week. Mrs Lovett had practically thrown herself at any and every man that seemed to come into her shop. He had witnessed her drinking with them, laughing with them and even flirting with them all in which he knew she was doing to get at him. And it was.

Her behaviour today had many people whispering and confirming the rumours that 'Mrs Lovett pie baker of fleet street' was nothing more then a whore. Everyone thought it! Sweeney had heard many conversations of the pretty widow who took pleasure in bedding most men that came to her shop. He knew it wasn't true yet with her overly flirtatious actions today he knew for a fact she had answered all those who had wondered if the rumours were true.

He had spent most of the day staring over at her from his balcony. He had watched angrily as Mrs Lovett freely allow herself to be pulled down into drunken mens laps, only for her to laugh loudly and drink along with them. She was dragging their well respected business through the mud with all her floozie behaviour and Sweeney had seen enough.

Now sat here still hearing Mrs Lovett's dirty giggles from her shop even at this time in the evening, had him twisting his razor threateningly in his grip. Oh how he wanted to go down a slit the throat of whoever she seemed to be entertaining at this very moment. He knew Mrs Lovett to be a strong and larger then life character, but at the moment she was only acting on her character. A character that many people now believed to be nothing but a stupid tart.

Gritting his teeth at the very fact she was acting like this had his blood boiling with fury. Sweeney knew Mrs Lovett, she was anything but a tart and yet now she was acting like one to try and work him up. Well she had succeeded in doing so because Sweeney was shaking with blood lust at this precise moment! He was on the verge of going down there and officially finishing that little party of hers and by finishing he meant finishing...with blood dripping from each and every man that looked or even so much as laid a hand on her.

"Good evening Mr Todd" snapping out from his rage Sweeney looked up to see a customer at his door. His lips tugged into a menacing smirk as he laid eyes on his next victim.....

———————-

"One more" one of the four handsome sailors cheered as he handed Mrs Lovett another glass of gin. The young lads had just arrived in London and were clearly looking for a place to take the edge off after a long time travelling on the stormy seas. Mrs Lovett was feeling very drunk, it was late and Toby had shut the shop and gone to bed hours ago now. She knew her little boy was unhappy with her today, she knew her relapse after her and Sweeney's drama had truly been over the top. But even so she didn't care. She wanted to get wasted tonight with these strapping young lads who she found herself enjoying the night with, even though the pain in her heart still lingered....

Having a lot to drink seemed to make her go numb, made her forget all she was sad about...

"Go on Mrs Lovett" the one holding out the drink to her pushed with a naughty grin on his face.

She smirked at him from the opposite side of the booth they were all huddled in together and took the glass. The four sailors cheered as she necked it back in one making her laugh too while two of the men she was sat in-between clapped her well done. "You're practically one of us" on laughed placing his arm around her shoulders and pulling her in a little to press a kiss to her forehead to which she laughed and batted him off playfully on the chest.