The Picnic

"Darling you've out done yourself yet again" Edward smiled handsomely at Mrs Lovett his eyes wandering over her beauty making him smile warmly in her direction.

Dressed in a light blue and white stripped dress Mrs Lovett had really made the effort with her appearance today. She had tidied up her red hair a little that sat in two bunches by the side of her face. Had even applied a little more rouge to her lips and cheeks to give her a healthy glow. The fact that Edward was looking at her with such love in his eyes made her only smile back timidly. She adored any affection from anyone but felt guilty that it was his eyes so full of love and not Sweeney's.

They had all been sat on this picnic blanket for about half an hour now, enjoying the food Mrs Lovett had so quickly prepared. There were sandwiches, cakes, fruit and a large bottle of gin to swallow it all down with. Sweeney, Margo and Toby were sat opposite the 'couple'. Mr Todd however wasn't finding this to be a lovely day. Nellie still wasn't speaking to him and was even avoiding his gaze. All through eating lunch Toby had been chatting away to both Nellie and Edward while Sweeney had been stuck with Margo and her obvious passes...

Even walking to the park Mrs Lovett had strolled along Edwards side, arm in arm leaving him yet again with the rest of the bunch. They hadn't spoken in so long now. It was really starting to get at him.

"That should fill us up till dinner" Nellie beamed packing a few things away into the large wicker basket. Sweeney glanced at her hoping that she might look his way seeing as she was just a head turn from him. However she didn't and for that he felt his heart twinge. He must of really upset her, he didn't feel angry as such, in someways yes, but he knew he was more to blame for their spat then she was. His jealousy and possession over the baker had truly made him crazy.

"So Mr Todd, Margo tells me you have started counting a lady here in fleets street" Edward began casually to at least try and make conversation with the ever so quite man sat in front of them. Both Sweeney and Nellie turned to Edward in slight surprise.

"What?" Sweeney mumbled eyes narrowing in confusion before Nellie cut him off.

"Yes, Mary Richardson...awfully nice young lady she is, however Mr Todd is a private man dear....only I found out a couple of weeks ago didn't I Mista T" and then her gaze met his, finally. He could see in her eyes she was begging him to play along, obviously she had made up this story a while ago. For what reason he had no idea...

"Is that so, well Mr Todd I'm very happy you've found someone of your own" Edward piped up again, however the way he said 'someone of your own' had a secret meaning to it. Like he was finally happy he had found love else where and keeping away from Nellie.

"Would love to hear about her Mr Todd" Margo  said causing Nellie to narrow her eyes on her. The woman was so clearly trying to dig deeper into his personal life just so she could wiggle her way in. Mrs Lovett wasn't a complete fool.

"I didn't know you were dating Mr Todd?" Toby also added raising a clever brow and angering Sweeney further. He hated that the boy knew of his affair with Nellie, he looked so smug right now that it took him everything not to lunge at him.

"What's she like? Blonde and beautiful? Green eyes or blue? Tall and thin?" Edward seemed to like making him uncomfortable. And even Nellie was beginning to feel bad for him. It was almost mocking Sweeney To which Nellie could hear the humour in Edwards voice and for that she felt almost surprised, there was no need to be mean to him.

Glancing at Mrs Lovett he could see the small amount of worry in her eyes. The apologetic look she gave him made it all seem that little better knowing she was on his side. "She's all those things apart from she has dark hair and brown eyes" Sweeney spoke up softly still glancing into Mrs Lovett's eyes even as he spoke. She smiled a little at him before reverting her gaze elsewhere, she didn't want them to catch on that he was really talking about her...

"Personality?" Edward continued prodding the barber further knowing full well he was uncomfortable.

"Smart, very smart and full of life" Sweeney didn't keep his eyes off Nellie seeing her smiling a little to herself at his kind words.
"Beautiful too, the warmest of eyes along with her captivating smile" he could see the blush appearing on her cheeks as she kept her eyes firmly on the picnic blanket. For that he smirked and moved his eye line to Edward so he too didn't look so obvious.

"Are you in love with her Mr Todd?" Toby piped up actually touched but the kindness he was showing towards Mrs Lovett. For the first time he saw a different side to Mr Todd that had him digging for more.

Sweeney glanced over at Toby, no threat or warning to his eyes just simply a small smile tugging at his lips as he pondered on the boys question. "Very much so...."

Nellie tried her best not to react or allow her cheeks to redden even more then they already were. Her heart truly yearned for him, the need to kiss him right here and now was so tempting, she had to try and control herself. Yet her childish like heart leaped hearing him saying that he loved her, nothing in the world meant so much to her then hearing him confess his love...

"However I still seem to ruin things from time to time..." he continued thinking now was a better time then any to apologise...in secret that was.

"How to you mean?" Margo ask beside him on the blanket her legs crossed under her beautiful cream dress and blonde hair flowing down her back. He looked at her briefly before pouting his lips and shrugging his shoulders. "I've been selfish I suppose, I realise now I have to be patient with her and her wishes, she's not ready to fully commit to us yet and so I know now I just have to wait for her...which I will do for as long as I have too..." he explained subtly telling Nellie this, not that he was looking at her.

"Sweeney" Mrs Lovett whispered sadly as if reaching out to him, to caught up in his little speech to realise that she had even spoken his name resulting in all eyes turning to her. Gulping a little awkwardly Mrs Lovett cleared her throat and tried to think of something fast to say. "She loves you, you know when the time is right... 'Mary' will be able to let go of old ghosts and focus only on you..." Nellie told him using this as her way to tell him, not like he hasn't heard this all before...

"You know her Nell?" Edward asked.

"Yes, she's a good friend of mine got a lot of things goin' on at the moment however, she's missing him terribly" glancing back at Sweeney they shared a saddened gaze. How they could be so close yet so far apart was so painful to them both.

Toby noticed the glance and could see how his Mum loved the barber. He could now see just how much Sweeney seemed to share that same look with her as well...

"I need a walk" he mumbled moving his eyes off her and with that Sweeney pushed himself off the floor.

"I'll come too" Margo stated before being cut off.

"I want to be alone" he told her making the atmosphere all that little uncomfortable as his tone seemed a little harsh and irritated. Margo simply bowed her head awkwardly and watched as he strode off into the woods by himself.

Nellie also watched, her heart hurting seeing what she was doing to him. He was so sad again, like when he first came back to London. She hated seeing him so lost, Mrs Lovett was used to comforting him and being there when he needed her and yet what was she to do. If she got up and followed him it would look suspicious. No, she had to stop torturing them all and straighten things out once and for all. Edward had to know the truth of what is going on.

A/N: and so the madness beings😂 hoped you liked my update, please leave me some feedback and tell me your thoughts x