The Getaway

It was getting dark. The night was drawing in and the sky's above were turning black. They had been walking for hours, whilst carrying what little belongings they had over their shoulders. Sweeney had been marching along ahead checking over his shoulder every so often at Mrs Lovett who stayed by Toby.

They hadn't spoken much, in fact he was sure Mrs Lovett was purposely not talking to him. He knew he had upset her before by telling her to leave the boy behind. But he was right! Toby was a nonsense to them, a burden. Well in his eyes anyway....

Mrs Lovett held Toby's hand tight, keeping him close from the dodgy area they found themselves in. The dirty streets of London were thriving with sin, from prostitutes and drunks to drug dealers and pick pocketers. There were many eyes watching the three of them walking along the streets, looking tired and slightly lost for that matter. She wondered if they were ever going to stop.

To be honest her heeled boots were beginning to blister at her tired feet. She had held off from complaining or mentioning it to Sweeney but now it was ridiculous. It was clear they didn't have a place to stay and she was sick of following the barber when he himself was just wondering aimlessly.

"Mum" Toby yawned as they continued to walk along the cobbled slimy streets.

"Yes dear"

"Are we going to stop soon? I'm so tired" as if he had read her mind Nellie shared the same tired expression as him. "Soon dear, I'll just have a chat to Mista T" she gave him a warm smile and let his hand go to catch up with the barber.

Sweeney noticed her walking beside him from the corner of his eye. "Can we please stop love, me poor feet are beginnin' to blista' an Toby is getting very tried" she asked to which he simply stopped and turned to Toby walking behind them. "We can't it's not safe here, I knew that boy would be a burden to us" he grumbled. Nellie narrowed her eyes on him as he looked at her "He ain't a burden an I want to stop too we've been walking for hours" she replied not so quietly.

"Look I'll carry you if I must! But we can't stop, not here! As for that boy well if he's to tired to continue we can always just leave him here!" He practically hissed, eyes hard as ice that made her completely you lose her cool and slap him hard around his stupid face. The sound of her slap even had Toby shocked as he caught up with them. He watched as Mr Todd held his sore cheek and scolded her just with his deadly glare.

She had had enough of his selfishness! Couldn't he see the pain she was in and everything she had given up FOR HIM!

It hurt her that he could act like this. She had given up her home, had given him all of her love and comfort when he needed it. Had hurt someone she had cared so much about and now he was wanting her to give up Toby! She felt sick that he for not one second asked if she was ok. He didn't even have the decency to help her clear up the evidence in the bakehouse earlier.

"Mum is everything alright?" Toby whispered taking her hand in his, watching as the pair of them just stared daggers at one another after she had slapped him.

"This is none of your concern!" Sweeney snapped harshly making the poor boy flinch. Again this only angered Nellie more and with one push to Sweeney's shoulder she barged past him tugging Toby along with her.

"Where the hell do you think you're going then?" He yelled after them only for her to ignore him and wonder off down the dodgy streets of London. There was no where decent for miles for them to rest, just pubs and brothels it seemed. It was too late and too far to find anywhere suitable now, they were both very exhausted. Anywhere would do right now she wasn't going to be fussy.

Toby stayed silent. He could see his mum was clearly upset and he wondered if slapping Mr Todd was a good idea. He didn't want the barber to retaliate. Looking over his shoulder he just about made out Sweeney following them in the distance. Just a dark silhouette...