Devil's eyes

"That bastard" Nellie grumbled to herself as she took her first step into the bakehouse that evening. She narrowed her eyes angrily on the pile of dead bodies mounted on one another like hay stacks and with a quick gaze across she counted about 6 bodies. 6 bloody bodies that man had left for her to clean up! on a bad day 4 was the limit but 6!

Gritting her teeth she growled to herself and hiked up her heavy skirts before turning around and bolting the iron door shut. With angry steps she headed back to the top of the stairs only to be greeted by a very enthusiastic Toby. "Mum! It's Edward's birthday in two day right?!" he cheered not seeming to notice the fowl mood she was in. Edwards Birthday! she mentally yelled to herself now she had been reminded. She froze looking blankly at Toby as she tried to recall just what she had planned to do for him that night.

"Shit"

"What's wrong?" Toby asked carefully seeing the panic settle in her face. Looking at her son she braved a small smile and patted him on the shoulder while hurrying him to the kitchen with her. "Nothin' dear, just slipped me mind...I ave' invited his friends and family over and ave' completely forgotten just how soon it was approaching" She explained as she walked him into the parlour before hurrying around the cupboards in search of some flour and mixing bowls.

Toby knew of her party she had originally said she was throwing for Edward, but he was confused that something so big had just slipped her mind. Was she stressing again? was it because of that evil man above them? He simply shook it off and watched as she finished piling up different ingredients and measuring jugs onto the counter top.

Using the back of her hand she wiped away some of the fallen hair that had decided to now get in her way before glancing over at Toby.

"Mum ya not goin' to start now are ya? its late evening ya need ya rest" Toby was right. Nellie looked exhausted she had worked hard all day serving and keeping her customers happy not only that but she had not slept either considering last nights events. Now as she looked outside she noticed it was dark, noticed now that indeed  it was too late to start baking.

Toby could see the stress in her tired eyes and for that he simply walked round the counter and wrapped his small arms around her waist. "You work so hard mum" he mumbled tightening his arms just that little extra which made her smile. She too wrapped her arms back round him before leaning down to press a kiss to his forehead. "Someone has got to bring the money in darlin' time's is hard and always will be here on ole' fleet street"

"But ya never stop mum, I worry bout' ya I do" Toby confessed squeezing his arms round her waist tighter enjoying the way she ran her delicate laced gloved fingers through his brown hair.

"I know you do dear, and that touches me but I ave' a business to run and there's no rest for the wicked dear" she ended on a chuckle before gently breaking away from his hold to clear away the pots and pans she had got out.

"Ya not wicked mum" Toby smiled at her. She smiled back and shook her head to herself when he went running back off to his room. If only he knew...

—————————

Knocking on Mr Todd's door for the second time Mrs Lovett huffed in annoyance when he still didn't bother to open. "open up you frustrating man" she murmured to herself when she began knocking at some pace against his door.

With one fast tug the door flung open to revel an unhappy looking Sweeney who only narrowed his eyes on her. He was dressed only in his trousers and shirt and looked as if he might have been asleep dew to the mess of his hair and the tiredness in his black orbs.