Revenge is payback

Toby could tell something was very wrong. He could see this morning that something was playing on Mrs Lovett's mind just by her very odd behaviour. Toby always got up early every morning, but seeing his mum at the crack of dawn was something that even he was surprised to see. He had watched as she heading down to the bakehouse without so much as a warm good morning to greet him or even a glance his was as she walked past him. Toby wondered why on earth she would feel the need to start work in the bakehouse at the crack of dawn, it was as if she was avoiding someone or something.

His first thought might be that she was distressed by the fact Edward had stayed over last night. He hadn't seen Edward this morning but had heard him and his mum talking most of the night, what they were talking about he had no idea as it was too muffled. Even with his ear pressed against his bedroom door all Toby could really tell was just who's voices they were. He couldn't help but wonder if she had told him about her affair with Mr Todd. I mean she would have to come clean eventually and what better time to do it now that he was back, right?

Of course Toby knew it would be difficult and he himself didn't want Edward to find out. Edward was such a kind and loving man, perfect for his mum and the fact she would have to ruin all they had for someone mean and cruel was something Toby would never understand. Just why did she have to be in love with him? just what had Mr Todd ever done to make her feel so strongly about him. Love was something Toby was sure he would never understand...it was crazy.

It was now 9 o'clock in the morning and he had been sat in one of the pie shop booths for over half an hour now eating his breakfast. Toby was frowning deeply at his mum as she rolled out the rough dough with her rolling pin, her crazy hair getting in her way as red strands fell down in front of her face. She didn't seem bothered though, just continued rolling away madly like she was on the verge of a mental breakdown at any moment. she hadn't stopped this morning and he could tell she was already beginning to tire herself out, just by the way she wiped her brow with the back of her hand or huffed whenever she needed to bend down to pick something up. She was going mad, he was sure of it.

Toby so badly wanted to say something, just to check on her and see if she was alright. Clearly she wasn't and clearly it was best to keep his mouth shut. He certainly didn't want her throwing another glass at him like before...

The side door of the shop opened revealing a rather grumpy looking Sweeney. Toby watched almost worryingly as Sweeney entered,  his mum's eyes glancing toward him too. He noticed the sudden coldness to her eyes when she looked at him, it almost gave him a chill to see that something between them was very sour at the moment. The pair of them were like ticking time bombs, as soon as they are set of they both become very dangerous.

Mrs Lovett Ignored him and continued to roll out her dough. Toby could see that Sweeney was not going to move just because she was ignoring him, the pair of them just stood in the same spot, not so much muttering a single word to one another. Suddenly the whole pie shop felt very uncomfortable and for that Toby wanted to leave. However he stopped himself from getting down from the booth as soon as he spotted Edward walking in from Nellie's bedroom.

Seeing Edward also appear from the opposite end of the room Nellie smiled supportivly in his direction. "Morning dear" she said softly gulping as soon as he stood beside her and felt his arm wrap around her waist. She smiled awkwardly before allowing him to kiss her sweetly on the cheek. "Morning" he whispered dryly still hurting very deeply from the loss of his father. Edward glanced at Sweeney very much aware that the barber was also present in the room. Toby wanted to jump up and run over to him but all he could do was watch. The tension was so strong even Toby could feel it and my god it was certainly uncomfortable.

Stopping what she was doing Nellie finally turned to him with a brave smile. "How are you feeling?" she asked sweetly before cupping his cheek with one hand and running her thumb gently over his stubbly chin. She didn't care that Sweeney was watching, his presence didn't mean anything to her right now. She didn't even want him here.