s e v e n

i wake up, finding a note on my nightstand.

we need to talk

– patterson

i put my hair in a high ponytail and slip into my shoes and rush over to sammy's apartment.

"is something the matter?" i ask. "you told my daughter you'd buy her tickets?" she asks.

"i didn't, i said i'd speak to you about them but every time i wanted to do so, something always came up." i explain.

"did you know she doesn't even communicate with me like she used to? we just had an argument and she said 'oh why don't you do things the way jennie does'." she says.

"misses patterson i didn't mean to cause any trouble. all i did was do the things you asked me to-"

"it looks like you're not fit to be babysitting right now. the babysitter isn't supposed to have a mom and daughter connection with someone else's child." she says, handing me an envelope.

"what's this?" i ask. "it's your pay. i'll be leaving now but i wish you the best of luck." she says, leaving sammy's apartment.

"i should be leaving too." i say. "stay for breakfast at least." sammy says. "i have so much to do, and my phone... oh my god i don't think i locked my door." i say, rushing out of the building and running to mine.

i open the door and make sure nothing was taken. then i change my clothes. i put on a white shirt with olive green skinny jeans and timberland boots. i then throw on a black thrasher sweater and undo my hair.

i do my basic makeup and once i finish i grab my black cap with a red rose on it and my phone. i run down the stairs and out of the apartment building to head back to sammy's.

when i arrived, i sat at the kitchen table and rest my head.

"why don't we go job hunting? we could put your name at the employment office-"

"i really liked rebecca. something about her reminds me of myself and.. seeing her go like that without me at least saying goodbye is making me sad." i say.

sammy didn't say anything but instead he hugs me tight for a while. i never understood people; whenever someone was upset they always hug that someone and tell them everything will be okay.

yet how do they have the capability to know that if half the time they don't even know what you're going through?

but for some odd reason i believe sammy and i always have. something about him.

"can i ask you a personal question?" i suddenly ask. "i guess." he says.

"how come you're not working?" i ask. "the school pays for most of my things. and plus i'm in a band. i've set goals for myself." sammy says.

i didn't say anything afterwards but instead i just ate my breakfast.

"look, i feel really bad about this. i feel like it's my fault since i sorta recommended you the job. let's say on monday we go and see what offers are available in school? i know the school isn't going to be there once we graduate but you never know." sammy says, sitting next to me and playing with my hair.

"sammy i have to tell you something. i can't keep this bottled up in me forever i just have to tell someone." i say frantically.