n i n e t e e n

"can you believe that after school ends we're done?" i ask, taking in my surroundings.

"i'm lowkey gonna miss jarvis you know." olivia says. "me too." wendy says. "yeah, facts. so much has happened these four years." jia says.

"i've only been here for a couple months and so much has happened. can you imagine if i've been here for four years?" i ask. "maybe you and sammy would've dated." wendy says.

"weren't you the one who said 'love shouldn't be rushed'?" i ask. "yeah but you know we're all waiting." she says. "as if we're all not waiting for you and dylan." i say.

"okay, i see how it is." wendy says. "i hate to break this up but y'all mind if i steal wendy for a second?" dylan asks. "if this is what i think it is, you're asking sammy." wendy whispers in my ear, as she and dylan walk away.

"hey." sammy says. "hey. come, sit here." i say, making space for sammy to sit on the desk next to me. "we should leave you two alone." olivia says, exiting the room with jia.

"let me braid your hair." sammy says, playing with my hair. "woosung, what type of braid are you even doing?" i ask. "you'll see." he says, taking the hair tie from my wrist and tying my hair.

"sam, i didn't know you could braid like that." jia says. "braid like what?" i ask. "oh hon, you'll love it! it's cute!" she says. "i wanna see." i say, rushing over to the mirror. "shit, this is cute. thank you!" i say, hugging sammy.

"well it's official! everyone's dating but you guys." olivia says. "what?" i ask, letting go of the hug. "yeah! i saw dylan and wendy in the hall making out." she says.

"you know that's not a bad idea. the dating part, not the making out." sammy says. "huh?!" i ask. "yeah, why not? why not be my girlfriend?" sammy asks. "what? look, i don't think-"

"just say yes, you know you'll end up doing so." olivia says. "she's right you know, y'all are destined to be." jia says. "you're making excuses, stop that." jeff says. "don't y'all have things to do and places to be?" i ask.

"don't pay attention to them. look, i just think we should give it a shot. how about this: let's try it for a week and then if you want to continue we can and if you don't see it happening we can stop and continue being friends. deal?" sammy asks. "deal." i say, hugging sammy.

"you guys are dating? finally! it's about time." wendy says. "noo, not yet. we're trying it for a week." i say. "oh my god you guys take forever, can y'all just kiss already?" dylan says.

"just because y'all are dating, doesn't mean we should too. let it take its time." i say. "maybe you're playing hard to get. it has to be!" jia says.

"guys-"
"alright damn we'll shut up and let the story unfold. no need for lectures." jeff says. "what was wrong when i tried saying that?" i ask. "uhh sammy's a leader and when he speaks, it's more serious. you're allowed to speak when he isn't around." leo says.

"should've known." i say, sitting back on the desk. "jen, why don't you just go out with him-"

"i'm scared, jia." i say. "it's because of dev, isn't it?" she asks. "i haven't dated after that. i've feared it." i admit. "dev is dead and sammy would never hurt you." jia says.

"that's what dev said: 'i'll never hurt you. i love you too much to do that' and what'd he do? rape me and kill my parents? i can't." i say.

"but sam-"
"all guys are the same, jia. some different than others but for the most part they're the same. especially teenage boys who only want one thing out of you." i say.

"but-"
"jia, i've been in a relationship before and it's not pretty. i love sammy a lot but i can't do this." i say, hopping off the desk and going into the piano room.