t w e n t y - s e v e n

i follow the girls into the room and notice an older woman in there. "jenna! i miss you so much!" she says, hugging me.

"i'm sorry but.. who are you?" i ask. "you don't remember your cousin martha?" she asks. "to be fair, i don't remember any family. don't you live on the other side of the world?" i ask.

"well i used to live in pennsylvania then i moved to italy and i just recently got here about a week ago looking for you." she says. "why?" i ask. "because i'm homeless and need a place to stay." she says.

"well for one thing, you can't stay here. it's under the policy that you can't stay here unless you're an idol." i say. "i don't even know why you chose this. you could've been so much better, maybe a singer in english." she says.

"to be fair, we do have some english songs. and most songs on my own album is in fact in english. so i mean i haven't really let anyone down." i say. "yeah but you could've been a doctor or a lawyer. you could've had more money and could've lived in a house by now." she says.

"my parents wouldn't be against this. you should know. what happened to your home?" i ask. "my husband left me and i got fired from my job. i couldn't go back to pennsylvania because my family doesn't want me there so i came here. i was going to go back to new york but i saw billboards of you in the streets and everyone said you were here. so i came here." she says.

"first off, i don't even know you. and secondly, the only place i have in new york is my apartment but i'm selling it." i say. "can i take it?" she asks. "i'm afraid not. you don't even have money." i say. "but please don't leave me here alone on the street. i'll make the money, please?" she pleads.

"i'm sorry. but look, there is a shelter nearby. you should try going there and see what's up. they'll help you look for houses except i prefer you go to the suburbs since it's expensive over here. and you seem young enough to get a job." i say, as i hear someone coming though the door.

"who's this?" sammy asks me. "apparently it's my cousin, martha." i say. "she came all the way here to see you? that's crazy." he says. "she's here though so it's not really as crazy as you think." i say. "who's this?" martha asks.

"oof where are my manners? martha, this is my boyfriend, sammy." i say. "hi! nice to meet you!" she says. "likewise?" he says. "is it true that there's a shelter nearby?" she asks him. "there is. it's like down the corner." he says.

"do you also think i'm young enough to work?" she asks. "for the most part. how old are you?" he asks. "33." she says. "most places hire older women anyways so you do fit the age category." he says. "cool! do you think you could help me with my bags? i want to go over to the shelter-"

"who helped with your bags before?" i ask. "myself. but they're so-"
"i think you can help yourself." i say. "chaeyeong, that's not very nice to say." jia says in korean. "jia stay out of this! it's my cousin, not yours." i say in korean.

"fine, i'll help myself." martha says, carrying her bags. "i feel bad." sammy whispers to me. "shut up, she just wants attention." i whisper back.

"jen, why did you throw her out like that?" jia asks. "i remember her. she was jealous of me, she always wanted what i wanted. even though she's a lot older than me, that's just how she is." i say.

"you think she's into sam?" she asks. "did you see the way she was looking at him? did you see how flirty she was?" i ask. "aww, you're jealous." sammy says, embracing me in a hug. "i'm not jealous! i just don't want her to be with you." i say.

"that's jealousy my guy." olivia says. "yeah and considering y'all had sex-"
"wendy! how many times do i have to tell you we didn't do it??" i ask. "you told them?" sammy asks.