Chapter Sixteen- "Stay Out Of It."

Chapter Sixteen

"Stay Out Of It."

Sophia’s Point Of View-

           “Evil Dead or Insidious?”

            I pulled out the numerous titles from the cabinet underneath the television and laid them out on the table. I personally wanted to watch a horror movie so I only picked two for him to choose from as rude as that sounded.

            “Hm…” He leaned forward and studied the cases for what seemed like two minutes before replying, “Evil Dead.”

            “Yes!” I shrieked and started to take the DVD out of the case. That was the one I wanted because it was my favorite horror movie. Now that I think about it he probably knew that so that’s probably why he chose it.

            After the incident last night, it was awkward at first in the morning but the thing that I liked the most about Ben is that he has a really easy-going personality so an embarrassing situation like that just flew right over his head because he was able to just forget about it. I’m glad we moved past it and things are finally starting to get back to normal now.

            “Hey, before you put that in can we talk about something?”

            I froze where I was and felt my throat start to dry out. I wasn’t sure what he had in mind but he better not say anything that will change things between us.

            “Uh, sure.” I replied and sat down beside him.

            Rubbing his hands together in his lap, he leaned back on the couch and let out a sigh of frustration or sadness, I couldn’t tell which one it was.

            “I kind of just wanted to talk to you about the whole Carina thing. I know Justin isn’t coming back until tomorrow so I figured this would be the only time we’d get, you know?”
            I instantly felt myself relax once the words left his mouth. I didn’t think he was going to say something that would change things but ever since Justin has been so on edge about him lately I kept having my guard up. Nodding my head for him to continue, he took another deep breath and began to speak.

            “She called me that night and she just didn’t seem like herself. I mean you’d think when someone wants to break up with you they wouldn’t be so emotional right? Yeah, well she was bawling. She was literally almost unable to breathe and I just kept asking her what I could do to make her change her mind and she just kept repeating nothing. She said there was nothing I could do… nothing.” He stopped himself and cleared his throat.

            “So I kind of thought, you know, that she didn’t want to do it. I thought maybe something had persuaded her to do it or something. So I kind of wanted to come down here to talk about it and see if you knew anything. Am I just being crazy or does she still want to be with me?”

            Giving him a dirty look, I crossed my arms over my chest and moved away from him.

            “Ben, if you think even for a second that I told Carina to break up with you then yeah, I think you’re crazy. You can go ahead and ask her if you’d like because I did nothing but stick up for you the day you called me. I will admit that she discussed breaking up with you when she came down here for my injury, but she never once said she was actually going to go through with it and I told her that I thought it would be a mistake.”